Connect Apple Display to Windows laptop (MDP Female -> HDMI Converter)

Discussion in 'Mac Basics and Help' started by SterAllures, Oct 31, 2011.

1. SterAllures macrumors newbie

Dear Apple Users,

First of all, this is my first post here so hello to everyone ;).

Now to my problem.
    I have an (old) Apple Display 24" which I want to connect to my normal HP Windows laptop.
    Now at first that was a problem because the Apple display only has outgoing MDP. But I found a solution with a Dr Bott converter, which isn't sold anymore, and it also doesn't work anymore, for some reason the screen isn't connecting anymore and I have all kinds of problems with it.

So I'm looking for a Converter to attach my Laptop (which has HDMI female) to my Apple Display (which outputs MDP Male)

so I need a converter which accepts MDP Female and converts it to either HDMI male or female.

I've searched for this problem but I mostly find sound related problems and Macbook to normal display problems.

Thanks in advance!

2. BarkingGhost macrumors regular

BarkingGhost

Have you tried places like Monoprice cables? While I have not tested any displayport cables/adapters, I have other cables and adapters (and splitters and switchers) from them.

3. SterAllures thread starter macrumors newbie

Well I Can only find this:

MDP Female -> MDP Female

But I don't think I will get any screen when I attach a male MDP cable to it, does anyone have any experience with getting this to work?

4. BarkingGhost macrumors regular

BarkingGhost

Keep in mind that DisplayPort is not an 'Apple' thing. Its the computing world's answer to the consumer world's HDMI, which is to carry audio and video along the same cable structure. My personal and work laptops (both HP) have DisplayPorts on them.

Caveat: The only thing I would be concerned with is if the Apply display product doesn't have an EDID chip and as a result the computer not knowing the display's native resolution. But even that can be overcome with creativity.