Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

AJ Muni

macrumors 65816
Original poster
Aug 4, 2005
Miami
how do i setup my pb to a 17'' lcd?? i got the cable..but how am i able to close the pb, and keep it running on the lcd?? does it keep the same resolution??

AJ Muni

macrumors 65816
Original poster
Aug 4, 2005
Miami
TBi said:
You could just try plugging it in and seeing what happens...

i did that but the resolution isnt as clear on the lcd as it is on my pb...

chaos86

macrumors 65816
Sep 11, 2003
if you have a keyboard or mouse plugged in (or wirelessly connected), close the pbook (to sleep), plug in the screen, presss a mouse button or key (make sure 'allow bluetooth devices to wake this computer' if applicable). this should wake the powerbook in docked mode (or some other silly pointless name like that). viola! your powerbook is in single screen mode and it's not the powerbooks screen.

as for the res, your mac should interface with the attached screen(s) and ask what resolutions theyre capable of displaying, then only these resolutions will be available to the user. if video mirroring is on (sometimes even if the 'book is closed its screen will be on but mirrored- weird), the 17 will be restricted to the same resolutions as the 12 so you have to make sure only the 17 is being used. if all youre using is the 17 the display menu should show all of its resolutions, not just the 1024x768 of your pb.

chaos86

macrumors 65816
Sep 11, 2003
of course, even better than that you can have both running seperately and just have a really big desktop. thats far more useful, but weirds some peope out that they can move their mouse across 2 screens.

godbout

macrumors regular
Jun 22, 2005
Montreal, Canada
I think that one of the problems that you are having with the LCD being fuzzy is that you are used to a higher pixel density on your 12" PB. Now all of a sudden you have the same number of pixels on a 17" screen so it will be bigger and seem less sharp. I would also just use screen spanning it is great one you get used to it (although it can really eat up desk space).

AJ Muni

macrumors 65816
Original poster
Aug 4, 2005
Miami
godbout said:
I think that one of the problems that you are having with the LCD being fuzzy is that you are used to a higher pixel density on your 12" PB. Now all of a sudden you have the same number of pixels on a 17" screen so it will be bigger and seem less sharp. I would also just use screen spanning it is great one you get used to it (although it can really eat up desk space).

thats exactly what i was thinkin godbout, but wasnt sure if my hypothesis was right...so i guess im not the only one with this problem?? the main thing is that on the lcd is "not as sharp"...how do i enable screen spanning, and also what is screen spanning?? sorry new to this external monitor thing..... :)

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.