Connect PS3 to MacBook with cable?

Discussion in 'Mac Basics and Help' started by Jonasvdc, Nov 14, 2009.

1. Jonasvdc macrumors newbie

Jonasvdc

Hi,

I have searched the forums but couldn't find a direct answer - some of them are asking to use the mac display for the ps3 or setting up wireless streaming.

My question is if it's possible to connect my MacBook Pro (13") with ethernet connection to my PS3 with an ethernet (or other) cable. So that my PS3 sees my MacBook without using any router, etc... and that I can play movies (e.g. in Blu-Ray) or music that's on my MacBook through my PS3 on my TV?

I've tried Medialink but I guess that's also for wireless streaming also because when I connect my MacBook with my PS3 my PS3 doesn't show up under "devices".

Can someone help me out here or clarify things for me? I'm quite a n00b when it comes to this.

Thank you in advance!

2. IgiveyoutheFBI macrumors newbie

Though I haven't tried connecting my PS3 directly to my MAC I do have them both wired into my router which is basically the same thing, I guess if you have the PS3 and MAC configured with IP addresses on the same subnet you should be OK.

I used Medialink but SL broke it so I'm now using PS3 Media Server which is working great.

Hope that helps

3. psxguru macrumors 6502a

A crossover ethernet cable between the two plus manual IP configuration (different IP addresses on the same subnet) should do the trick. You should be able to ping the ps3 from your mac once setup. After that it's a case of getting whatever streaming software to work.