Connect to preferred network - nasty habit of OSX Leopard

Discussion in 'macOS' started by TiberiusvP, Jun 29, 2009.

1. TiberiusvP macrumors newbie

TiberiusvP

Hi there,

I have a nasty issue with my Airport Extreme and my late 2006 MacBook C2D running 10.5.7. Not really a bug, though...

I completely cut my Extreme from power overnight (power saving) and when I turn it on, simultaneously with my laptop, the laptop has booted up prior to the Extreme, so it says "No preferred network found". A few seconds later the Exreme is ready and the wi-fi is set up, but I still need to click "Cancel" in the "No preferred..."-dialogue, click the Airport icon and select my network manually. Then it connects without problems.

Is there, by any chance, a way to persuade the leopard to connect to the network automatically when it's ready and NOT show the unwanted dialogue-box?

FYI: I have marked the network as preferred in Airport settings and have no other of the known problems (connection drops, no connection after sleep...). All is well, except this annoying issue.

Any idea?

Cheers,
    Tib

2. Dwalls90 macrumors 601

Dwalls90

You're saying it IS in the list of preferred wireless networks in "Network" in System Preferences?

3. TiberiusvP thread starter macrumors newbie

TiberiusvP

Yep, it is. Top position.

My understanding is that when Leopard initially looks for the preferred networks after booting, the Extreme isn't ready and the network isn't there, so Leopard asks what to do. And from that second on, it does not look in the background anymore if one of the preferred networks might show up.

Is there any way to tell Leo to look in the background even if it has already asked me what to do now?

?

4. Dwalls90 macrumors 601

Dwalls90

Ahh sorry I didn't understand your post first time around.

I don't think doing what you want to do is possible - but is it really worth going through the initialization hassle of unplugging-plugging all the time? I'm sure the power savings is negligible when you figure in the other things you leave plugged in (or maybe you don't?!), like the tv, cable box, washer and dryer, maybe some lights for 'security'.

Only advice would be to put the airport extreme on a timer (electrical timer w/ dial, buy one at CVS or home depot) and have it so it starts up a few minutes before you wake up. Other than that, using the Apple email feedback program - email them saying you want a power on/off feature for the airport extreme, and one that allows you to start it up/on like the power on/off feature in OS for Macs!

5. TiberiusvP thread starter macrumors newbie

TiberiusvP

Yeah, maybe I should propose that to Apple... why not try?

Just to complete the info: I have special remote controlled power plugs all over my apartment, I just switch them off in the evening and every consumer is completely cut from power (TV, VCR, DVD, stereo, printer, router, and all other stand-by devices), so it isn't really a hassle, just one click on the remote and everything comes back to life. Maybe I should get used to wait a minute before booting the laptop :)

Thanks anyway for your help!

Cheers,
    Tib