Connecticut Supreme Court Legalizes Same-Sex Marriage

Discussion in 'Politics, Religion, Social Issues' started by CalBoy, Oct 10, 2008.

1. CalBoy macrumors 604

CalBoy

While I know most of us here are busy discussing the endless freefall of the markets or the latest McCain/Palin move, I thought this would be a nice change of pace.

Boston Globe

I don't think an explanation is really necessary, but the important part is that the Connecticut Supreme Court used the same rationale as the California Supreme Court, which means that it is likely to become the de facto standard for others states that will soon join in (I'm eyeing Vermont, Hawaii, Rhode Island, and New York as possible upcoming states to follow suit).

I also think this will help Prop 8 be defeated, as Californians will realize that we are not alone and completely "out there." Independent/moderate voters will realize that the issue is more reasonable than the Yes on 8 people are making it seem.

2. iGary Guest

iGary

It's all about equal protection at the end of the day. Plain and simple.

3. Sky Blue Guest

Sky Blue

I know MA is a long way from California, but...

4. zap2 macrumors 604

zap2

Good stuff!

Hopefully we'll see more and more following suit

5. iGary Guest

iGary

I think most people will vote for Prop 8.

6. bradl macrumors 68040

bradl

And what is your rationale on that?

Many people here would LOVE to hear this...

BL.

7. CalBoy thread starter macrumors 604

CalBoy

It really is, which is why the resistance to it always makes me a bit sad.

If anything, conservatives should want gay people to get married, since married couples pay more in taxes and are more likely to be Republicans. :p
    I meant that with 3 states now supporting same-sex marriage, and with this coming so soon after California's decision, it will make it easier for Californians to reject Prop 8 (because they'll see same-sex marriage as more mainstream as opposed to just another wacky "liberal" idea).

8. abijnk macrumors 68040

abijnk

I really hope that this is a domino effect. Not allowing same-sex marriage is silly. Way to go Connecticut.

9. CalBoy thread starter macrumors 604

CalBoy

I hope not Gary. :(

Maybe you should move out here just to cast a vote. ;) :p

On this forum? I think most of the PRSI forum would vote "No" but I'm afraid that California is still on the cusp of voting "Yes." It's still up in the air, and that's why both sides are spending so much money.

10. Anuba macrumors 68040

Anuba

This is what Gerald Ford used to tell the GOP, but he died before anyone would listen:

11. Delta608 macrumors regular

Delta608

It will be moot when there is an amendment passed for a U.S. Constitutional Ban, these court decisions will only quicken the pace....:eek:

12. iGary Guest

iGary

Because most people, though the numbers are going down, oppose it.

CBS

Gallup

Washington Times

13. bradl macrumors 68040

bradl

Probably won't happen, because of the 10th Amendment. And no politician will want to touch an issue at such a high level at the risk of losing their job.

BL.

14. CalBoy thread starter macrumors 604

CalBoy

You mean the ban that's been in the works for four years now? :rolleyes:

It will never get out of committee, let alone pass with 2/3rds in both houses.

Oh yeah, and then there's the matter of getting 38 states to agree with it.

Instead, the US Supreme Court in a matter of 10-15 years will affirm California, Connecticut, and Massachusetts and take down one more brick in the wall of bigotry that we have in American society.

EDIT:

Anuba, that's an interesting find, although not too surprising. Ford always was more rational than the Neo-Conservatives of the post-Reagan age.

Gary, those are national polls. In California it's still a toss-up, because before the Pro 8 guys began to run negative and false ads, the prop was failing quite nicely.

15. iJon macrumors 604

iJon

This is excellent news to here, definitley a step in the right direction. It will take time but eventually the other states will come around.

jon

16. bradl macrumors 68040

bradl

Which none of the stories you've used, reference any person living or voting for the initiative in California. If it fails there (which I believe it will and will be voting as such), everything you say here will be moot.

BL.

17. iGary Guest

iGary

Are Californians not Americans? :confused:

Christ it's hostile in this place anymore.

Anyway, it does look like the recent California polls show people opposing the prop.

I WANT it to fail, just cynical about it happening.

18. it5five macrumors 65816

it5five

This is great news for Connecticut.

Here in Arizona, it's more than likely Prop 102 will pass, which will constitutionally ban gay marriage in the state. I didn't expect anything else from Arizona though. This is an awful place to live.

19. mactastic macrumors 68040

mactastic

Those damn Mormons are doing everything they can to get it to pass. It's been tightening significantly in the last couple of weeks. My wife and I are mailing out our "no" votes this weekend.

Good luck with that. The wingnuts have been promising that for decades, and it's gotten near-zero traction. Even with a GOP president and GOP majorities in Congress, it didn't get anywhere.

When will you realize that you religious zealots are getting played like fiddles by the GOP on these social issues? Bush got huge majorities of the religious conservatives to back him, you'd think he would have owed them one? Nope, he was too busy giving the love to Wall Street, not to the religious wrong.

20. atszyman macrumors 68020

atszyman

I'm 100% for gay marriage but I expect this to help McCain's poll numbers.

Whenever another state's court legalizes same-sex marriage in an election year the GOP gets ammunition for talking about "Activist Judges" and their opposition to same sex marriage.

I'm happy Connecticut did this, but it will give McCain a small boost (hopefully it's only a small boost)

21. NT1440 macrumors G4

NT1440

22. Delta608 macrumors regular

Delta608

According to your Avatar, perhaps you should move to Cuba...

23. it5five macrumors 65816

it5five

I wasn't aware that Ho Chi Minh was Cuban.

24. Anuba macrumors 68040

Anuba

I don't think the GOP has thought this through.

While there are no exact stats on the percentage of gay people, it's generally accepted that at least 4% of the population is gay, and slightly higher among women. GOP is saying no thanks to potentially 4% of the votes. And it's not like they would lose a substantial amount of anti-gay voters, those voters wouldn't go to the Democrats in a million years anyway.

Also, as more and more countries in the western world are changing laws to allow gay marriage, some Americans will emigrate and some foreign workers will be reluctant to immigrate.

Last but not least, the GLBT crowd will shut the hell up, which should be a godsend to the religious right, who are probably more bothered by the attention-seeking than the actual gay activities.

25. EricNau Moderator emeritus

EricNau

Yes, but are all Americans Californians. ;)