Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

doxavita

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Jul 6, 2010

SFGiantsfan

macrumors newbie
Jun 7, 2010
I thought the iMac just has a standard 3.5pm as the audio out?

I have Z-4s which I will hook up to my iMac (which arrives Friday!) ... And I'm just gonna use the standard 3.5 that comes with the speakers.

Icy1007

macrumors 65816
Feb 26, 2011
Cleveland, OH
I thought the iMac just has a standard 3.5pm as the audio out?

I have Z-4s which I will hook up to my iMac (which arrives Friday!) ... And I'm just gonna use the standard 3.5 that comes with the speakers.

it is a standard 3.5mm jack, but it supports optical.

doxavita

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Jul 6, 2010
Read some reviews for that cable, and I think it does work. They mention connecting the Z-5500 to a MacBook Pro, and other reviews talk about using it with iMac's, so I should be good I think., right?

Last edited:

doxavita

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Jul 6, 2010
I already have a Coax to mini-jack cable, that one should work too, right?

nightfly13

macrumors 6502a
Jul 17, 2008
Ranchi, India
Coax to miniplug won't work

It might work.. the Z5500 has Coax input, right? I'm not sure how they convert optical light pulses to electrical pulses (that coax uses over any old RCA copper cable - audiophiles will argue but it's all hype) but it's worth a try.

They operate on the same protocol. I don't understand how it might work, but if you have a mini-optical to coax cable, then it should be workable.

*EDIT it won't let me change the response title.... At first I thought it won't work, thinking you meant headphone (analog) plug to coax wouldn't work but if it's a 'digital coax' to optical mini plug then it should work.

maxinc

macrumors regular
Jun 15, 2010
It might work.. the Z5500 has Coax input, right? I'm not sure how they convert optical light pulses to electrical pulses (that coax uses over any old RCA copper cable - audiophiles will argue but it's all hype) but it's worth a try.

They operate on the same protocol. I don't understand how it might work, but if you have a mini-optical to coax cable, then it should be workable.

*EDIT it won't let me change the response title.... At first I thought it won't work, thinking you meant headphone (analog) plug to coax wouldn't work but if it's a 'digital coax' to optical mini plug then it should work.

Both iMac(and most macs) and Z5500 had optical S/PDIF and that cable would certainly work. iMac has Mini TOS Link (through the standard headphone connector) while the Z5500 has the normal TOS Link connector.

rock-hard

macrumors newbie
Jan 22, 2012
logitech z5500 work with Imac 27 fine

Hi guys,
regarding the matter below for Logitech Z5500, I find solution and it will be work with Imac PC. After many research in internet and youtube and I practiced through so many cables, I found a final solution. It will let Z5500 speaker to work with full functions with Imac PC. Only you need to by one adaptor with cable from same compnay Logitech then connect with Imac and it will work fine with all options. The link is available below for adaptor and cable, so that you can purchase for cheaper price. I hope this will help you all.
Logitech 5.1 Game Console Adapter Convert Rca Plugs

http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B0006U3ACY/ref=oh_o01_s00_i00_details

Thanks

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.