Connecting 52" LCD TV (Samsung LN52A650) to 24" iMac...what do I need?

Discussion in 'Mac Accessories' started by ckboddic, Aug 11, 2008.

1. ckboddic macrumors newbie

I'm wondering what cables I need to hook up my 24" iMac to a Samsung LN52A650 TV. I also have a MacBook Pro I plan to connect to the Samsung from time to time, again, what cables would I need to achieve this?

2. Dmac77 macrumors 68020

Dmac77

Well, firstly what kind of ports are on your TV? VGA, DVI? That kind of info would be helpful!

Don

3. ckboddic thread starter macrumors newbie

All connections:

HDMI (High Definition Multimedia Interface version 1.3): 4 (3 rear/1 side)
    Ethernet port
    Component video: 2 (Y, Pb, Pr)
    S-Video input: 1 side/1 rear
    A/V inputs: 1 side/1 rear
    PC Inpuy (D-Sub): 1
    RF antenna inputs: 2
    HDMI-CEC
    Premium audio: Improved sound quality with dedicated low-range speaker system
    Headphone jack

I bought an hdmi to dvi cable. I already have a mini dvi/dvi adapter. Should this do the trick?

4. thecoard macrumors member

thecoard

I'm pretty sure if you have those 2 cables you're in good shape.

5. buccsmf1 macrumors 6502

i just used a micro-dvi to dvi cable (bought from apple) and a dvi to hdmi cable off some internet sight. make sure you get a long enough cable, mine is 15ft and its barely long enough.

6. kolax macrumors G3

Use the PC Input. I assume it will be VGA.

MacBook Pro's come with a DVI to VGA adapter (I assume you'll need to buy this for your iMac) and all you need is a long VGA cable.

I'd avoid going from DVI to HDMI - this was going to be my original approach for hooking my MacBook Pro to my TV, and I done a bit research and found it more prone to glitches.

I've not had any problems with connecting by VGA - and better more it works with Windows via Boot Camp without the need of extra software etc.

7. marco007 macrumors member

8. Jim Tamara macrumors newbie

Well, you have to check first what kind of VGA port do you have in your Imac, is it DB9 or something else? The look for that cable.