Connecting an eMac to a Windows 2000 machine

Discussion in 'Macintosh Computers' started by josefilipe, Aug 19, 2004.

  1. josefilipe macrumors member

    Jun 24, 2004

    I'm gonna buy an eMac 1,25Ghz and as the title says, I'm going to connect it to a Windows 2000 machine.
    What I would like to know is: do I need a normal network cable or a crossover cable?
    Also, I need a 20 meter (65 ft) network cable. Do you think it's too long?
    BTW, wireless is too expensive for me. :(

    Thanks in advance.
  2. varmit macrumors 68000


    Aug 5, 2003
    It will only cost you another 100 bucks to do wireless. It will cost your 40-70 dollars for either a 50ft cable, connector and another cable to make the distance, or just a 100ft cable at 70 bucks. When a wireless router costs only 60 dollars,
    Now all you need is to shell out of the Airport wireless card. That is the only extra 100 dollars. You will enjoy it more when you can move your emac to any room in the house and not have to make sure you have enough cable. Trust me, it will be a better value in the end.
  3. hcuar macrumors 65816


    Jul 23, 2004
    Nah... All you need is a cable

    You can buy a really long 100 foot cable for much cheaper than indicated.

    You will need a crossover cable to talk directly between the two machines. If you can't find a long crossover cable, you can modify the cable by following the directions on this page:

    Here's where you can buy the cable (skip all the steps on the prior page):
    It's only $10.05 plus 6 bucks shipping.

    Fairly simple... You could also buy a four port switch (Netgear, Linksys, DCOM, etc). Here's a site:
    $16.99 after rebate.

    You will then need two standard cables (often refered to as patch cables they are 50 foot cables... just place the switch between the two computers)
    $7.05 a piece.

    That's a whopping $31.09 for the switch idea... Plus some shipping.

    For $32.99 after rebate you can buy the following router rather than the switch.:

    The router has a switch built in for in home communcation... In addtion, if you ever get broadband, it serves as a hardware firewall using network address translation (NAT). Double the price of the switch, but it has future features.

    I hope this helps... As to the poster telling you that a cable costs $70.00... I got some stuff I want to sell them... Real cheap... :D
  4. rand() macrumors regular

    Jul 15, 2004
    Actually, you won't even need a crossover cable. All Macs that were built with Ethernet since the Sawtooth days have auto-sensing ports. The Mac will switch, and the Windows machine, as usual, will simply be oblivious.

    That doesn't mean you can't use a crossover cable. It means that it doesn't matter. The Mac will detect the type you are using, whether you use a crossover or not, and signal the pins accordingly. So just get a plain-jane 100ft. cable, and you should be good to go.

  5. josefilipe thread starter macrumors member

    Jun 24, 2004
    Thank you for all the responses.

    varmit: the wireless is currently out of my price range. I'm from Portugal and hardware isn't as cheap as in the States.

    rand(): that's all I wanted to know :D

Share This Page