Connecting an External Monitor to MacBook Pro 15"

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by Rofl, Dec 18, 2010.

1. Rofl macrumors member

Hey guys,

I'm thinking of purchasing a Samsung P2450H 24" monitor, but I'm not sure what cable(s) I need to connect it to my MacBook Pro (April 2010).

I want to be able to max out on the resolution so that I can use it in Full HD.

Do I need a mini displayport -> DVI, then DVI -> HDMI? Or is the process simpler than that?

Thanks.

2. Hellhammer Moderator

Hellhammer

Staff Member

mDP to DVI + DVI cable are enough as the monitor has a DVI port as well. mDP to HDMI will work too if you prefer that

3. Dalton63841 macrumors 65816

Dalton63841

Im pretty sure you can get a MiniDisplayPort to HDMI adapter if you look around. Could've sworn I've seen one. I could be wrong though, anyone wanna weigh in?

4. Hellhammer Moderator

Hellhammer

Staff Member

5. Ifti macrumors 68000

Get a mini Displayport to HDMI adaptor.
    Since your MBP supports audio through the mini display port, make sure you get an adaptor that supports audio also. This way you only have to connect the one cable to get both video and audio.
    Be careful though, I'm in the process of returning an adaptor at the moment since they stated it supported audio as well, but when I tried it, it didn't!

6. pukifloyd macrumors 6502a

pukifloyd

+1 for a miniDP to HDMI adapter...just get one from amazon or ebay...they are really cheap (around or less then 10 bucks).

7. Rofl thread starter macrumors member

Thanks for the responses!

Just finished ordering my items and they'll arrive in time for Christmas (hopefully) :)

Got a very cheap mDP -> HDMI cable from Amazon which purportedly supports audio as well.

Has anyone else got one of these Samsung monitors? It came out about 2 years ago so I was a bit sceptical with the technology at first, but it's received some brilliant user reviews which ultimately convinced me to get one. I'll probably use it for occasional gaming, work and watching movies. How does it compare with, let's say, the Apple Cinema Monitor and the Dell Ultrasharp line?