Resolved Connecting Apple Thunderbolt display to iMac 5k you get an hub with a single adapter!

Discussion in 'iMac' started by katbel, Nov 5, 2018.

1. katbel macrumors regular

katbel

How can I connect my old Apple Thunderbolt display to my iMac 5k 2017 USB-C ? Do I need the very expensive Apple adapter or there is some competition around? I looked around but couldn't find any so far, a lot of mini-display connectors but I'm not sure it will work with my Thunderbolt Display.
    Plus in case it works, will I be able to use the ports available on the old Apple Thunderbolt display? This would be cool. Did anyone try yet ?

2. chrfr macrumors 604

You need the Thunderbolt 3 to 2 adapter. A USB-C to Mini DisplayPort adapter will not work as the Thunderbolt Display supports only Thunderbolt connections.

3. katbel thread starter macrumors regular

katbel

Today I decided to give it a try, went to the Apple store and I bought one dongle too.

The good part is that all the ports on the Thunderbolt Display work and this is so good because I have few more ports available,

1 Firewire 800 (I bought another adapter two years ago Firewire 800 to 400) , 3 USB, 1 Thunderbolt, and this is fantastic.

The cons is it's so expensive for just one dongle but I'm telling myself it's like I bought an hub that is not available on the market :cool:
    If someone else has the same question here you have the answer!

4. mikehalloran macrumors 65816

5. katbel thread starter macrumors regular

katbel

You are right but it happens I have one Apple TB Display and this is why I was looking around to expand my ports and to get the ones on the Display that I was going to lose and they are so essential to me.