Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

roofus.jammer

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Jan 13, 2009
Hi there,

Just got my first iMac and have a few probably embarassing newbie questions. Firstly, i'd like to connect it to my mixer to get the audio thru to my amp and eventualy speakers. I have a Numark 200USB mixer and am wondering what the best way of connecting an imac to this mixer so i can hear audio thru my speakers?

Also, am aware that a can plug my electric guitar into a mac as well to use in garageband/prologic.. what kind of a device/cable would i need to do this? it kind of ties into the previous question as i'd like to have the sound out of my speakers thru the Numark..

Many thanks for any guidance you might post!

Roofus

DoFoT9

macrumors P6
Jun 11, 2007
London, United Kingdom
hey there!

its quite easy.

not sure what the mixer has as output sound options, im guessing either RCA style, 6.5mm type or something else, but regardless of that you will need to have an end that is 3.5mm. that will plug directly into the Mic port on the iMac.

this also goes for the guitar, you can go from the guitar straight into the iMac by using a 6.5mm -> 3.5mm cable. :)

roofus.jammer

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Jan 13, 2009
thanks for your help dofot9, i have a usb mixer so i was thinking usb to usb connection tho i do not have the software from my mixer any lnger so not sure how i get around this problem ( as i'd need to install the mixer software for the usb to usb connection i guess??)

LouisBlack

macrumors 6502
Jun 21, 2007
Balham, London
I just did a quick google and found this. It reckons that you don't need any drivers and it'll work with 'almost any Windows or Mac audio recording or playback software'.

I'm not sure how it'll deal with playing the iMac's sound through the mixer and to the speakers but I would assume that that is a fairly basic feature.

Plug it in, load up Garageband and just fiddle about with it I guess...

slothrob

macrumors 6502
Jun 12, 2007
direct box

Ideally, you want some kind of direct box between the guitar cable and the mic-in on the mixer, to bring the guitar signal to line level.

Like this one.

Otherwise, you would want to increase the guitar signal to line level by some other means, like a Pandora or other digital effect with a line out, or an effect that has a mixer output, as a lot of the Digitech effects have.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.