Connecting Mac Mini to monitor and TV

tyler928

macrumors member
Original poster
Nov 14, 2013
I just got a new Mac Mini and bought a monitor (Asus PA248Q) that supports DVI, VGA, and DisplayPort inputs (also HDMI, but I'm going to use that for a game console).

I want to hook up my mini to the monitor and also my TV (via HDMI) for watching movies. Based on the cables that came with the monitor (and the HDMI-DVI adapter that came with the mini), the cheapest way to set this up would be mini's HDMI-->DVI on monitor with adapter, and a mini displayport to HDMI cable to the TV. Am I missing anything by going with converters/adapters? Would HDMI-HDMI for TV and then mDP-DP for monitor work better for any reason? I assume because everything is digital that it wouldn't matter, but thought I would ask.

Also, audio from the mini to the monitor is not an issue for me.

Thank you.

tyler928

macrumors member
Original poster
Nov 14, 2013
Thank you. That is what I thought.

I have a little problem, though. (Right now the monitor is hooked up Mini-HDMI-DVI-Monitor.)

When it wakes from sleep, the screen looks a little strange--pixelated/oversharpened (it's hard to describe)--and the mouse pointer has a magenta outline around it. When I unplugged the HDMI from the computer and plugged it back in, the monitor looked perfect again.

Any ideas what the problem could be?

ColdCase

macrumors 68030
Feb 10, 2008
NH
Not sure what resolution that monitor support, but DP supports higher resolution than the mini HDMI. I have my laptop connect to a monitor via DP (mini DP to DP cable), and to a TV via HDMI without any issue. DP is designed more for computer monitors, HDMI for movies and TV.

A min DP-DP cable is maybe $10.

The mini and monitor are not negotiating properly when it wakes from sleep. Unplugging forces a negotiation. You could do the same by powering on and off the monitor.

tyler928

macrumors member
Original poster
Nov 14, 2013
Not sure what resolution that monitor support, but DP supports higher resolution than the mini HDMI. I have my laptop connect to a monitor via DP (mini DP to DP cable), and to a TV via HDMI without any issue. DP is designed more for computer monitors, HDMI for movies and TV.

A min DP-DP cable is maybe $10.

The mini and monitor are not negotiating properly when it wakes from sleep. Unplugging forces a negotiation. You could do the same by powering on and off the monitor.
I tried powering the monitor off and on, but it doesn't consistently do the trick.

----------

This looks like what I need. When I first hooked up the monitor via HDMI, the monitor's menu didn't give the choice of sRGB. Then I hooked it up with the DVI and the option became available and everything worked perfectly (until it woke up, of course).

I will give this a shot this evening, as I'm at work right now and the Mac is at home.

Thanks everyone for your input and help!

atopos

macrumors newbie
Jun 13, 2011
HDMI reduce refresh rate to 30 Hz. Isn't it ?
I'd like to buy the new Mac Mini and Dell U2413.
Whats is the best type of connection (60 Hz e.g.) ?
Quality-wise.
How many colors will I have ? 8 or 10 bits ?

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.