Connecting MacBook Pro to TV Screen (Monitor)

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by handslikesecret, Feb 15, 2012.

1. handslikesecret macrumors newbie

I just purchased this item so I could play Netflix movies/shows from my laptop to my HDTV monitor:

http://www.amazon.com/dp/B003OC6LWM/ref=pe_175190_21431760_cs_sce_dp_1

The video works great. However, it seems that audio is still coming out of my Macbook rather than through the TV- is there another adapter or cable I need to buy? Please excuse my ignorance! Thanks!!

2. handslikesecret thread starter macrumors newbie

I'm still confused- do I need to buy a separate cable for audio? It says in the article that HDMI Cables support audio, but the audio still comes out of my MacBook Pro...

3. snaky69 macrumors 603

That depends on what year MacBook Pro you're running, which is something you omitted to mention. You see, MBP's from 2010 onwards can and will play audio trough a good quality HDMI adapter, MBP's older than that do not support that feature, thus you'll need a separate cable to get the audio to wherever you want it.

Also, in sound preferences, if you have an MBP that supports it, you'll need to switch your Output device to HDMI for the sound to go through the HDMI cable.

4. handslikesecret thread starter macrumors newbie

I have a 2011 MacBook Pro which I purchased brand new. I bought the HDMI cable in the link above. I believe it should play the audio, but I'm unsure how to configure it. Thanks for the help!

5. simsaladimbamba

Check System Preferences > Sound > Output or OPTION/Alt click the sound/volume icon in the Menu Bar and tell us, what is listed and checked as Output Device.

[​IMG]

6. 153098 macrumors member

I had the same problem. Do this and choose the HDMI adapter as the sound output in preferences.

7. heisenberg123 macrumors 603

heisenberg123

system preferences, sound, output, hdmi

8. handslikesecret thread starter macrumors newbie

9. windowstomac macrumors regular

I have this working on a 2011 MBP too and I was delighted to find that it my Mac automatically switches the sound output back and forth having made that change once - I thought I was going to have to change it every time!