Connecting MBP late 2009 13" to Sony 52" XBR TV

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by anthonycr, Sep 4, 2010.

1. anthonycr macrumors newbie

Hi,

Recently I bought a mini display port to hdmi adapter to plug into my Sony XBR 52 in Full HD TV. It all works but I can't get my MacBook Pro screen to fill up the entire screen of the TV. Tried adjusting resolutions and all that and even played with some TV settings but it wont work.
    Any advice?

2. cookieronster macrumors member

uncheck overscan

3. TopHatPlus macrumors 6502

do you have mirroring on? make sure mirroring is off, when i start up mirroring it will not fill my 26" because they are in 2 different ratios, so go into display preferences and arrangement, you can unselect mirroring there and select what side you want your external display plus select what screen you want as your primary scree.

4. anthonycr thread starter macrumors newbie

I did that and it only helped in the regard that I could now see my menu bar and dock properly on the TV but it still wont fit the entire screen

5. anthonycr thread starter macrumors newbie

will try this, wish apple had better support for connecting things

6. TopHatPlus macrumors 6502

haha yeah theres many things i wish had better instructions =D post up how it works out =D

7. anthonycr thread starter macrumors newbie

I tried it, it worked out a bit better but still won't fit to the entire screen, have a look at the picture below:

http://twitpic.com/2ldjpq/full

8. TopHatPlus macrumors 6502

its not perfect but it looks like it will work, it may be because the computer and the tv are in 2 different aspect ratios, ie true wide screen is 16x9 and one may be slightly off, so it does not fill the whole screen, how far off was it before? also i would be curious to set your tv as the primary as i seen you have and try close your macbook pro, it will make your mbp act as a tower, which is a pretty awesome thing =D

9. anthonycr thread starter macrumors newbie

I closed the lid of my MBP but it didn't do anything apart from make both screen go black. What is it meant to do?

10. TopHatPlus macrumors 6502

i thought it did, i have done it before to.... for some reason it does not want to do it now.... hmm i'll get back to you on that =P

11. cookieronster macrumors member

you can only do this feature when you have a mouse or keyboard attached that can wake it up. ie. magic mouse, apple bluetooth keyboard.

12. anthonycr thread starter macrumors newbie

I have a Magic Mouse but I don't really want to have to use it every time I connect my MBP to my TV.

13. cookieronster macrumors member

apple remote might work, other than that there is no way.

14. Tortri macrumors 6502a

Tortri

See if the tv has any settings to adjust the screen position, also try changing the refresh rate and see if that helps.