Connecting my 13" MBP to external display via MiniDisplay/HDMI causes MBP to crash :(

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by Brendan77, Mar 7, 2011.

1. Brendan77 macrumors newbie

Hello folks. I guess I'm just posting this thread to see if anyone else has this problem. The title pretty much sums it up.

I have one of the new 13" 2.3 GHz i5 MBP's. I bought this eBay adapter so I could use an external display:

http://cgi.ebay.com/Mini-Display-Po...247?pt=LH_DefaultDomain_0&hash=item1e5cea236f

I received it today and the first time plugging it in, it didn't seem to do anything. No response from my external Dell display.

Sometimes when I plug it in, the notebook actually crashes and I have to power it back up.

Interestingly, sometimes (rarely) it works fine and I can actually use video and audio through the external display and speakers. I haven't figured out any sort of pattern to it. When it simply wasn't working, I was leaning towards blaming the adapter but after my machine started crashing, I'm starting to wonder if there's an issue with my MBP.

Has anyone else seen this type of thing happen?

I'm going to give tech support a call tomorrow. I'm feeling a little let down with my purchase, as this is a pretty basic and important function I was counting on having, and a crash when attempting to use it is a pretty major fail. Hopefully Apple can turn this around for me.

2. ExnomenDei macrumors regular

Go to an Apple store or premium reseller, and ask them if they can test a DVI-adapter or, if they have one, an HDMI-adapter with sound. It seems pretty easy to test to me...