Connecting my MacBook to 52" Sony Bravia KDL-52V5500

Discussion in 'MacBook' started by ithealgorithm, Jul 4, 2010.

1. ithealgorithm macrumors newbie

Hi, guys. I'm not very technical whatsoever so when I googled this I got completely drowned in all of the technical jargon! So, if anybody could explain to me exactly what wires, etc., that I need to connect my MacBook to my 52" Sony Bravia KDL-52V5500 I would be very, very thankful! Also, I've read that a lot of the time when people eventually connect their laptops to their TV's the sound from the laptop doesn't come out of their TV speaks (I use the built-in speakers on the TV, nothing external) – so if anyone could also tell me how to get audio as well as picture on the TV that would be fantastic! Thank you.

2. psxguru macrumors 6502a

3. ithealgorithm thread starter macrumors newbie

psxguru, the machine model of my MacBook is 1,1.

4. psxguru macrumors 6502a

You need a mini-dvi to hdmi adapter (and a regular hdmi lead) for the video signal. Sound will be trickier if you are not using an AV amp as chances are your tv won't let you choose a different sound source with a hdmi input selected. Search the forum as there are a few threads on this.

5. DoFoT9 macrumors P6

DoFoT9

it is likely that ONE of the HDMI ports will allow audio input from ONE of the RCA leads, its worth spending $5 on a 3.5mm->RCA lead and then attempting trial and error on each combination of HDMI/RCA ports :)

6. ithealgorithm thread starter macrumors newbie

Thanks so much for the replies! Just to clarify, I'm sorry: I need to get a mini-DVI to HDMI adapter (w/regular HDMI lead) for the video signal and a 3.5mm->RCA lead to also connect to the DVI to HDMI adapter for audio?

7. eman macrumors 6502a

The mini DVI output on the macbook only carries video (no sound) and you will need to use a 3.5mm stereo lead to bring sound from your macbook headset jack to TV.

8. ithealgorithm thread starter macrumors newbie

Mini DVI to HDMI worked perfectly. I got a 3.5 jack to 3.5 jack and connected it first to the TV's headset jack and no sound and then the PC/HDMI 1 AUDIO IN jack and still no sound – any ideas why I'm getting no sound?

9. DoFoT9 macrumors P6

DoFoT9

great that the video is working :)

unfortunately, the audio doesnt work that way - you must plug the audio into a RCA port, as the headphone (3.5mm) port is only for sending audio OUT.