Connecting my RMBP to my TV via HDMi

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by Brad9753, Jul 6, 2012.

1. Brad9753 macrumors member

Brad9753

Hi, just connected my laptop to the TV for the first time. Went strait to the desired settings as soon as I plugged it in and the picture is great.
    However the sound still comes out of the laptop. I have friends with older windows laptops where they can connect the hdmi only and the sound comes from the TV as well. Is there a setting or button I need to press to do this?

2. miles01110 macrumors Core

miles01110

You probably need to select the TV as your sound Output in the System Preferences.

3. TheMacBookPro macrumors 68020

TheMacBookPro

There have been reports of that issue (or 'feature'- I'm not sure if it was intentional). You need to go into System Preferences > Sound > Output tab then select the HDMI sound output manually.

4. Brad9753 thread starter macrumors member

Brad9753

Excellent, solved, thanks a lot!

5. ml.sail1, Jul 6, 2012
    Last edited: Jul 6, 2012

ml.sail1 macrumors regular

An easy way to do this is to "Option + Click” the sound icon at the top right of the screen. From there you can easily switch your inputs and outputs.

Attached Files:

6. rownay macrumors member

Hi, I tried connecting my rMBP to my sony TV last night via HDMI and I couldn't get signal. Even though the MBP recognized it was a Sony TV in the display settings. I connected the same HDMI cable to my iPAD and video works perfectly. Any ideas?

7. heisenberg123 macrumors 603

heisenberg123

on my samsung sometimes if im already on the desired input it doesnt automatically see the device but cycling through my inputs and back to the desired one and it works, or turn the tv off than back on

8. Newbie MacUser macrumors member

Hey I noticed you were using the geektool feature in your screenshot. I particularly like bottom left corner where you had the "on this day in history" part. Where do I get the programming code for that? I have had a lot of trouble using geektool on my OSX Lion for some reason.
    Thanks in advance!:)

----------

Sometimes you might have a low grade HDMI cable. Remember it needs to be rated for 1.3 or higher for universal video and audio to work without any issue no matter what video/audio standard you are using. So u might need to go and buy some new HDMI 1.3 or higher cables. They're cheap everywhere, so u don't have to opt for those expensive Monster or other overpriced brands.

9. 01mggt macrumors 6502

Love geektool also. Can be a pain to setup at first but it's worth it for sure.

10. ml.sail1 macrumors regular

I just went ahead and uploaded the geeklet here for you, I hope it works. Just download and open and geek tool should ask if you want to execute it.

11. Newbie MacUser macrumors member

Thanks for posting it. I downloaded/installed geektool from mac app store and then tried to excute the app to open with geektool and it said something about "The document “On This Day In History.glet” could not be opened. GeekTool cannot open files of this type."

12. ml.sail1 macrumors regular

Strange… well anyways here is the code for it, format away :p

Code:
    curl http://www.infoplease.com/rss/dayinhistory.rss | grep CDATA | sed -e 's/\(.*\[\)//' -e 's/\].*//'

13. rownay macrumors member

Thanks for the tips, I borrowed a fairly new Monster HDMI cable and still have the same results. I can see my sony tv get detected on my rMBP, but still no video on the TV. You guys have any more ideas why this isn't work? HDMI video output works perfectly with my iPad