Connecting my Samsung HDTV to my Macbook...good luck trying to solve this one..

Discussion in 'Mac Accessories' started by maconly03, Sep 24, 2010.

1. maconly03 macrumors newbie

I have looked for hours upon hours of all the forums. So here goes...

I have a Black Macbook running Snow Leaopard with a mini DVI to VGA adapter.
    I have the VGA running to the back of my Samsung LCD 37" HDTV.
    But when i press the source button on the tv, it says "no input device are connected".

I have tried multiple things such as picking a couple random displays (800x600 etc.)
    I have also tried mirroring displays.
    The crazy thing is that when i cascade my desktop or show my spaces, it shows the external monitor next to my main screen.
    I read somewhere that if you get the refresh rate below 60hz that it would work, but thats not an option.

My mouse even acts like it goes to the next screen when i drag it all the way to the right.
    I have called Samsung to no avail, even AppleCare couldnt really help.
    If you solve this, you should put your application into AppleCare Support.

This is urgent that i get this fixed by Sunday Morning, Thanks for your help!!!
    :apple:

2. chrfr macrumors 603

Have you tested with another display to be sure there isn't a problem with the computer? How about a different cable?

3. MisterMe macrumors G4

MisterMe

Why aren't you using the TV remote control?

Also try this:
    • With the computer logged into your account and your video cables and adapters connected properly, remove and reinsert your mini DVI adapter.
    • If this does not work, then with your cables properly connected, restart your MacBook.

4. maconly03 thread starter macrumors newbie

Still No Luck

Ive tried using my wife's computer with regular leopard and still nothing. I am using the remote control, and trying to go to a different source. any idea what the best option for HDTV to be on (through the settings of my Mac display preferences?

Such as:
    800x600, 1024x768, 1280x768 (960, 1024)
    AND
    60Hz, 75Hz, 85, 90, 96, 100, 120...etc???

Man this is frustrating...
    I have used this same setup with a different TV before a couple months ago...
    I have never had this much trouble with a Mac...:confused:

5. Ramius macrumors 6502

Hey, you know that you have to use the "Find Screens" option in preferences right?

You have to tell the Macbook to send signal out through the cable.

6. tbayrgs macrumors 603

tbayrgs

You do mean "Detect Displays" found on the Display options under System Preferences, don't you?

7. chrfr macrumors 603

No, you should get a signal on the external display automatically.

8. i-want-intel macrumors newbie

i-want-intel

lol

i have had the same problem with a projector in my towns town hall and i found that if u use an extended display and set the tv as default it will act as if the built in display is external and the tv built in.
    hope this helps:apple:

9. rotobadger macrumors 65816

rotobadger

Ok, here are a couple of thought regarding your problem:

First off, the problem is, most likely, on the TV side not the Mac. The Mac is clearly detecting an external monitor (TV in this case) as you are seeing it in your display set up and the mouse is disappearing off the screen as though extended desktop configuration is engaged.

First and most simple thing to check is that the cable is working. Unlikely the cable has failed but make sure that's not where your problem is.

Next, you said that you were going from mini DVI to VGA. You are downgrading the signal from digital to analog. Is the adaptor passive or active (does it need USB power or need to be plugged in or is it just a straight cable)? If it's active, make sure it's getting power. Your TV is HD and there may be an issue with refresh rate. I have encountered this problem occasionally with external monitors and get the error on the monitor that says "signal out of range". Your TV may not issue this error but may have the same problem. Try bumping up to 75 Hz. With the little info you've provided my bet is that the problem is there.

Also, start out with a resolution of 1024 x 768. The TV should have no problem with that. If/when you get a picture onscreen then you can bump up the resolution.

There should be only one source selection on the TV for the VGA input (you'll have to look closely at the connection. It should be written on or near it indicating what the menu option is for that connection or check the manual). Once you've determined the correct setting on the TV for VGA, leave it there and fiddle with your refresh rate. That way you at least know you're plugged in correctly.

One other (simple) thing to try: shut the Mac down. Plug everything in, THEN reboot.

I'm not sure if any of this well help as I'm guessing and doing a little spitballing. Generally, when I help my clients out with issues like this it's over the phone so I can ask questions as I go.

Let us know if you get anywhere on this!

10. maconly03 thread starter macrumors newbie

Hey..Thanks for your advice and help... Still not fixed, but I have more info for ya to help clear up some confusions.
    First of all- I i have a mini dvi to VGA adapter like you would by from apple.com. Its only a couple inches long, then i have a vga female to vga female 5ft cable that runs to the back of the tv.

I set the refresh rate and resolution to what ya told me...to no avail.
    One of the main problems is that the TV wont even let me go to the VGA setting. It only allows me to be on the TV setting. the only things hooked up in the back of the TV is the VGA cable, and the television cable from Brighthouse.

The TV is a Samsung 37"LCD model number LNT3753HX-XAA.

I also tried the idea of shutting down the mac...No different.

I have also mirrowed displays, not mirrowed displays, detect displays, etc.

11. mw360 macrumors 65816

mw360

Some TVs require you enable the physical inputs via the menus. For example they may only have three logical inputs selectable via the remote and its up to you to tell the TV you want Logical Input 3 to be the VGA port, and not one of the HDMIs or Component.