Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

soccersquirt82

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Mar 11, 2008
I am getting a new MacBook and would like to occasionally hook it up to my iMac. The problem is that my MacBook is the early 2006 model and therefore has a Mini DVI port. I am guessing I would need a Mini Displayport to Mini DVI cable? I can't find a cable like this that exists. Help?

tallguy

macrumors regular
Jun 11, 2008
Canada
You want to use the imac as an external display for the macbook? I'm pretty sure that's not possible unless you have the new imac's that were just released. Someone correct me if I'm wrong. If you do have a new imac then yes I suppose you would need a Mini Displayport to Mini DVI cable.

soccersquirt82

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Mar 11, 2008
Yes, I would like to use my early 2006 model of the iMac as an external display for the MacBook. And since the Mini Displayport (on MacBook) to Mini-DVI (on old iMac) cable does not exist (as far as I know), does anyone have any creative solutions to enable me to do this?

DewGuy1999

macrumors 68040
Jan 25, 2009
Yes, I would like to use my early 2006 model of the iMac as an external display for the MacBook. And since the Mini Displayport (on MacBook) to Mini-DVI (on old iMac) cable does not exist (as far as I know), does anyone have any creative solutions to enable me to do this?

Can't do it. Both the MacBook's and the iMac's video ports are video OUT ports. Only the new late 2009 27" iMac has the ability to be used as a display for another computer, etc.

tallguy

macrumors regular
Jun 11, 2008
Canada
I'm in exactly the same boat as you are. I was slightly disappointed when I found out that it couldn't be done but life goes on :p

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.