Connecting PC Laptop to 27 inch iMac to watch TV

Discussion in 'iMac' started by TeddyLeroux, Dec 20, 2009.

1. TeddyLeroux macrumors member

I have a TV tuner on my laptop(HP Pavillion dv8t) and I want to watch it on a bigger screen ... can I use the imac as an external display using a mini display port to dvi then dvi to hdmi??:apple:

2. TeddyLeroux thread starter macrumors member

help please, i need to know this if I am going to buy an imac or not:apple:

3. Maserati7200 macrumors 6502a

Maserati7200

11230, Midwood, Brooklyn, NY, USA, North America
    That should work, but why not just use a mini display port to hdmi cable? Much simpler...

4. TeddyLeroux thread starter macrumors member

:apple::apple:I didnt know they made those... I knew they made mini display to hdmi adapters but not cables... could you give me a link

5. avihappy macrumors 6502

avihappy

Sadly, you are right. There is no way for you to connect a laptop with HDMi to your iMac AND have it run at full resolution (of the iMac). There are no cables. There are only active converters, and NONE support HDMI. There are those that support DVI, but they do not have dual link DVI, so they will not meet the native res of the iMac.

If you want to watch TV, you might be interested in an EyeTV device. However, they do not support CableCards.

6. TeddyLeroux thread starter macrumors member

Since that laptop is the same resolution as the 21.5 inch imac would it work with the 21.5 inch??

7. knewsom macrumors 6502a

No. DVI and mini display port are a whole different ballgame. DVI still draws lines, mini display is frames or something. If you want to watch TV on your Mac, use your TV tuner on your Mac.

8. bossxii macrumors 68000

9. Badger^2 macrumors 68000

Badger^2

Only works mini display port to mini display port.

So your HP needs a mini display port.

And, no, the 21" iMac cannot work this way.

Otherwise, forget it.

10. TeddyLeroux thread starter macrumors member

I think im just going to get a hp 27" display($330) from the hp website and connect a 2.66 ghz 4gb ram 320gb hard drive mac mini with magic mouse and apple keyboard with numeric keypad to the 27" display:apple: