Connecting PS2 and PS3 to monitor

Discussion in 'Console Games' started by jent, Jan 2, 2011.

1. jent macrumors 6502a

jent

I have a great 27" monitor with HDMI, DVI, and VGA. I use it as a secondary display for my MacBook.

I have an old PlayStation 2 I'd like to start using with it, so I'm wondering if there is such a cable or converter that allows me to use the composite input on the PS2 with any of the three ports on the monitor.

And since the PS3 has HDMI, do I simply buy a male-to-male HDMI cable and from there I can use my monitor to game?

Thanks for any help!

2. Demosthenes X macrumors 68000

Demosthenes X

You can use the PS2, but since it only outputs from component cables you have to buy a (relatively) expensive converter box, like this.

For the PS3, yes, you just need the appropriate HDMI cable and you should be set.

3. jent thread starter macrumors 6502a

jent

What about connecting a PS3 to a monitor without built-in speakers?

4. Demosthenes X macrumors 68000

Demosthenes X

I don't have a PS3, so I can't test this, but it looks like you should be able to force the PS3 to output audio separately from HDMI. It sounds like you can get away with just regular component cables for sound (as long as you don't want 5.1 or 7.1 surround), but take a look here and see if you can make sense of it. Like I say, I don't have a PS3, so I'm just guessing...

5. alust2013 macrumors 601

alust2013

Yep, you can do that, I have with mine.