connecting secondary monitor to laptop

Discussion in 'Windows, Linux & Others on the Mac' started by Maxi86, Oct 11, 2010.

1. Maxi86 macrumors regular

Although this has nothing to do with Mac on Windows, or Mac altogether, I think u guys can help me out here.

I have a 30" Dell 3007WFP-HC monitor which I would like to connect to my laptops... I bought a HDMI to DVI cable to connect them.

When using my first laptop: Acer Aspire 6920G with 32-bit Windows 7 Ultimate, it works just fine.
    But when trying my second one: Alienware with 64-bit Windows 7 Home Premium (processor Intel Core 2 Duo CPU @ 2.93 GHz), it doesn't work at all...

What could possible be the problem?

btw where should I post this thread, does anyone have any suggestions about that?

2. balamw Moderator

balamw

Staff Member

There are different flavors/versions of HDMI and to support a 30" display you will generally need a dual-link DVI port/cable.

The Alienware may be expecting to be able to support the full resolution on a single HDMI link and won't make a dual-link connection.

Just a guess.

B

3. Maxi86 thread starter macrumors regular

Does that mean there's no way I can connect the Alienware to the monitor?
    Or do I need to download some kind of a driver software?

And how come the Acer works without a problem?

4. balamw Moderator

balamw

Staff Member

Most of the cheap HDMI/DVI cables are single link so they don't support full resolution on your monitor.

The cable you have is right for the Acer, but not the Alienware. They are probably using different versions of HDMI, which makes the cable not right for the Alienware.

B

5. Maxi86 thread starter macrumors regular

yes, it was indeed a cheap HDMI-to-DVI cable :p
    so does that mean I should contact Alienware and ask them which cable they recommend?

6. balamw Moderator

balamw

Staff Member

Alienware=Dell so yes. Ask them what cable should be used to connect the two devices for best performance.

B

7. Maxi86 thread starter macrumors regular

Alienware = DELL?!?
    wow, I didn't knew that...

I'll contact them...
    thanks as usual, B ;)