Connecting to an external monitor via USB on a Macbook Air

crmpicco

macrumors member
Original poster
Dec 1, 2010
Mauchline, UK
I have a bit of an issue where I have a lack of ports on my MacBook Air with which to connect to everything I need to connect to.

I have one Thunderbolt port which I need to use to connect to my wired network. The location I am in doesn't lend itself well to a wireless connection.

I need to be able to connect to a second monitor to my laptop and I have realised I won't be able to do that through the Thunderbolt connection.

Would something like this likely to work with my MacBook Air?
https://www.amazon.co.uk/StarTech-com-Multi-Monitor-External-Adapter/dp/B002FJQXXC

It is a 2014 model.

Are there any other options for connecting the second display?

ftaok

macrumors 603
Jan 23, 2002
East Coast
I have a bit of an issue where I have a lack of ports on my MacBook Air with which to connect to everything I need to connect to.

I have one Thunderbolt port which I need to use to connect to my wired network. The location I am in doesn't lend itself well to a wireless connection.

I need to be able to connect to a second monitor to my laptop and I have realised I won't be able to do that through the Thunderbolt connection.

Would something like this likely to work with my MacBook Air?
https://www.amazon.co.uk/StarTech-com-Multi-Monitor-External-Adapter/dp/B002FJQXXC

It is a 2014 model.

Are there any other options for connecting the second display?
Do you have an iPad? If so, you could use Duet to turn your iPad into a 2nd monitor. Works pretty good with an iPad mini 2. Except everything is really small.

I'm sure it would be more functional with a 9.7" or iPad Pro.

ApolloBoy

macrumors 6502a
Apr 16, 2015
San Jose, CA
It'd be cheaper to get a USB 3 to Ethernet adapter and then a Mini DisplayPort adapter for whatever video output you're using.

crmpicco

macrumors member
Original poster
Dec 1, 2010
Mauchline, UK
It'd be cheaper to get a USB 3 to Ethernet adapter and then a Mini DisplayPort adapter for whatever video output you're using.
Thanks. My MacBook Air is a 2014 model so it doesn't have USB 3 but a USb to Ethernet adapter is exactly what I bought to solve this problem.

Cheers.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.