Connecting to an unsecure wifi

marty1990

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Nov 25, 2011
England
What can I do on it? Am on my university's wifi and I've checked my email, uploaded a couple of pics to facebook, and logged onto here and facebook.

Is that alright? What else can I do on here?

trikky

macrumors regular
Nov 10, 2011
What can I do on it? Am on my university's wifi and I've checked my email, uploaded a couple of pics to facebook, and logged onto here and facebook.

If it's an unsecured wi-fi, you have already made available to other users your password for Email & Facebook - and if you've done any banking or other similar transactions, your bank login as well.

Having said that, wifi is an internet connection, so you can do whatever you want that you could normally do on an internet connection, although some functionality such as peer-to-peer file sharing, gaming, etc may be blocked by the router. If it is not truly public wifi and you're just using someone's unsecured connection, in some jurisdictions you care performing a criminal act.

interrobang

macrumors 6502
May 25, 2011
If it's an unsecured wi-fi, you have already made available to other users your password for Email
Only if your email provider allows unencrypted logins (many do, but GMail and iCloud, for example, do not.)

Probably not, since Facebook login is SSL by default.

- and if you've done any banking or other similar transactions, your bank login as well.
Definitely not, since every bank uses SSL.

Bear

macrumors G3
Jul 23, 2002
Sol III - Terra

Well, since it's the University you go to, make sure you read their WiFi/Internet usage policy to see what if anything is not allowed. Otherwise, it's whatever isn't blocked by the University hardware.