Connecting to Internet with 27" iMac Broken Airport Card

Discussion in 'iMac' started by Barnum, Oct 19, 2014.

1. Barnum macrumors newbie

The airport card on my 27" imac is no longer working a week after I sent it to the Mac Store to replace the LED monitor (I get the message No Airport Card Installed when I click the the wifi icon in the menu). Resetting the PRAM and SMC doesn't help and it doesn't show up in the system profiler. Also I can't connect to the internet via ethernet because my airport extreme router is located in another room.

My iMac (model ID iMac10,1) is no longer under warrantee and it's been sent to the Mac Store several times already for various repairs and parts replacements (four times just this year). It's heavy (I worry I'm going to drop it) and I really don't want to lug it to the store again and spend more money on it.

I just ordered a refurbished macbook pro, but since the hard drive is a lot smaller than my iMac I want to keep all my music and podcasts on my 27" iMac.

Is it possible to download music and podcasts on iTunes (and surf the internet) on my iMac by connecting to the Macbook Pro via ethernet or firewire? I still want to connect my ipod classic to my iMac to transfer updated podcasts.

2. blueroom macrumors 603

blueroom

Yes, turn on internet sharing on the macbook pro, run an Ethernet cable between them.
    else get an AirPort express as an extender an plug an Ethernet cable to your iMac from the APE's LAN port, or get a pair of Power over Ethernet adapters.

All will give you a working internet just like your WiFi.