Connecting to monitor with Display Port

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by mac_in_tosh, Aug 12, 2019.

1. mac_in_tosh macrumors 6502

mac_in_tosh

If I'm looking for a cable that would connect a new MB Pro to a monitor with Display Port input, is it sufficient to use one that is described as "USB-C to Display Port" or does it have to include "Thunderbolt 3" in the description?

Also, can anyone recommend a high quality, reliable Thunderbolt 3 hub/dock, in case I want to go that way? Every time I think I find one it seems to have too many 1 or 2 star reviews e.g. on Amazon.

2. Gara_kons macrumors newbie

Gara_kons

3. mac_in_tosh thread starter macrumors 6502

mac_in_tosh

4. RayLancer macrumors member

5. dwig macrumors 6502a

This is a USB DisplayPort Alt mode interface and not Thunderbolt 3. They include the "Thunderbolt compatible" bit to help customers who's computer ports are simply labled as TB3 ports and don't realize that such ports support USB data and video as well.

For a single display, TB3 isn't required. The cable in your link is also USB 3 DP alt mode and not TB3.

6. jerryk macrumors 601

By single display do you mean not daisy chained? Or do you need TB3 even if you plug 2 monitors to 2 different USB-C ports on your MBP.

7. cynics macrumors G4

For the most part any cable will work connecting from your Macs USB C/TB port to DisplayPort.

When it comes to hubs you need to know that a Thunderbolt 3 hub $$$ while a USB C hub is much cheaper. So if you are shopping for a hub and its 30 bucks you are looking at a USB hub, if its 300 bucks its likely Thunderbolt.

Unlike Thunderbolt hubs the cheaper USB C hubs will have bandwidth limitations in place so you'll need to tame your expectations. For example you might see 4k 60hz HDMI but with usb 2 and 10/100 networking. Or USB 3, but with 10/100 and 4k 30hz HDMI. Just keep that in mind and read the fine print so you can focus on the functions you need.

For example I use this hub at work because I needed 4k displayport, charging and ethernet (in that order). And I used extension cable so I can keep the hub under my desk and just plug the extension cable in when I get to work. Since my workload doesn't require high bandwidth (saving excel spreadsheets to lan) the 10/100 is good enough and close enough to the ISP caps to not notice a difference between ethernet and wifi. Clearly compromise but it works great.

8. mac_in_tosh thread starter macrumors 6502

mac_in_tosh

That might be a good solution for me, and it's inexpensive compared to others. I would connect it to one of the ports on the MB Pro and it would allow me to connect my 1080p display, charge the laptop and provide two USB 2 ports for things such as mouse and keyboard while leaving the other port available.

A few of questions:
    o Is the USB-C port just for charging or can you connect a USB-C device to it? If so, would it be USB 2 also?
    o The base 13" MB Pro uses a 61W USB-C power adapter. This hub provides 60W. That should be okay, right?
    o This hub does not have glowing reviews - about 1/4 of the reviews are 1, 2 and 3 *'s - which seems to be universal with these devices. Have you had any intermittent issues?

9. RayLancer macrumors member

Both 13” 2019 models (15W and 24W CPU) use 61W power adapters but I noticed with Coconut Battery that when it’s charging it’s only pulling about 30W max. Even under load (well I haven’t done anything too crazy) it doesn’t seem to discharge more than 20W.

10. Fishrrman macrumors P6

Fishrrman

"USBc to displayport" is what you want.
    I reckon the cable in reply 4 above will do the job and do it right.

11. mac_in_tosh thread starter macrumors 6502

mac_in_tosh

Ok, but with only two ports on the MB Pro and the other one needed for power, that doesn't leave room for anything else. It appears that my best option would be some kind of hub/dock such as suggested in reply 7. It's just noticeable that for some reason all these cables and hubs generate at least 10% one star reviews on Amazon, including, as I mentioned, some that cause actual damage. I wonder why the quality isn't better.

12. cynics macrumors G4

1. The USB-C port is PD which is "power delivery" only.

2. The hub will use some of that power too so it will deliver around 55 watts. Maybe less if you are using USB ports. It will still charge and maintain charge of the 13" MBP fine.

3. I can't speak for anyone aside myself however I've been using it since April 7th for 8-12 hours a day without a problem. I have 2 other hubs that are similar to that one, one has failed. If I would have really cared I would have sent it back as soon as I got it as I could tell it wouldn't last but I didn't care enough.

EDIT: I take that back I had one problem with the CableMatters Hub once when the ethernet stop working and I have to unplug it and plug it back in. Not something I could consider a "problem" however that did happen.