Connecting Vista laptop to AirPort Express wifi

Discussion in 'Mac Accessories' started by NYCwriter, May 2, 2013.

1. NYCwriter, May 2, 2013
    Last edited: May 2, 2013

NYCwriter macrumors newbie

Hi

A few days ago I purchased an AirPort Express to provide my iPad Mini and iPhone with a stronger wifi connection. Before that I was using a temporary ad hoc connection which worked fine but was also inconvenient.

Anyway, I set up my AirPort Express using the AirPort Utility app on my iPhone. I have all the standard settings WPA/WPA-2 Personal with a security password. Within less than 5 minutes I had my iPad and iPhone connected and surfing the web with an "Excellent" connection. However, I just knew that my HP Pavilion laptop running Vista would give me trouble. And sure enough it did. The laptop connects to the AirPort's wifi but with a "Local only" connection so I cannot actually get onto the internet and visit any web pages. I checked out the settings under the "Network and Sharing Center" and everything matches what I have listed in the AirPort Utility app.

I have tried everything including:

- Using the hexadecimal "pre-shared key"
    - Changing the channel from "automatic" to "1" and "11"
    - "Diagnosing" with Vista
    - Turning off the firewall
    - Completely resetting the AirPort with a new wifi name and password
    - Restarting computer numerous times
    - Switching other security settings
    - And a bunch of other ideas from other forums

None of it has worked. However, through doing this I did isolate the issue. It is a some sort of security issue that is preventing a full connection because when I turn off the password and security settings on the AirPort Utility app, the laptop connects fine and I can surf the web. However, leaving in open wifi connection is not a good solution for where I live. And connecting the laptop to the AirPort with an ethernet cable is not a good solution since I have the AirPort in a different location than my desk.

I'm going to be purchasing a Mac in about 6 months, and cannot wait for things to just work, but for now I'm stuck with this Vista computer. If anyone has any ideas of what the security issue could be, please suggest them. I've wasted so many hours on this and appreciate any help that you provide.

Thank you.

2. drsox macrumors 65816

drsox

What setting does the Network section show for the WiFi connection to the AE. If it isn't Home, then sometimes Win restricts what can be passed across. I suggest you connect via LAN and check all your settings against what is shown when you connect by WiFi.

Is there a Password setting that is WPA2 Personal only ? If there is try that, if there isn't then try using WEP just to see if it works. (I don't suggest you use WEP other than for this)

3. NYCwriter thread starter macrumors newbie

The Network and Sharing section shows it as “Unidentified network (Public network)" There's no mention of “Home.” However, when I plug the ethernet into my laptop it shows it as “Home (Private network)” with “Local and internet” for “Access.”

I tried the WPA-2 Personal only and the same problem persists.

Lastly, I tried the WEP setting through AirPort Utility and then connected to the wifi again with laptop. The laptop connected right away and I could surf web fine.

There’s some kind of security setting that’s giving me trouble. I just can’t figure it out. Perhaps you’re on to something with the “Home” and difference between a “Public” and “Private” network.

Thanks for the help!

4. drsox, May 2, 2013
    Last edited: May 2, 2013

drsox macrumors 65816

drsox

Whenever the system detects a new network it asks you to tell it how to treat it (mostly). If it has decided that the WiFi is Public (i.e. dangerous), then somewhere there is a setting to change it. I avoided Vista (basically crap), but in Win7 I know how to fix it (may not be helpful). Clicking on the Name (Home, Public etc) should bring up a dialogue to allow you to change it.

If WEP works and WPA2 fails then it might well be something else. I don't use Win via WiFi so haven't run into this recently.

If it's possible, then you might invest in a long LAN cable and run that as a moveable tail to the AE for the next 6 months if all else fails !

5. NYCwriter thread starter macrumors newbie

Well I switched it from “Public” to “Private network.” It said “Limited Connectivity” then switched to “Local only” again.

I disconnected once more and tried reconnecting and it switched back to “Public network” on its own.

I guess I might have to buy a cable but I’m trying to avoid that at all possible.

I don’t know. This is driving me crazy.

Appreciate the help!

6. drsox macrumors 65816

drsox

Hang in there 'till you can afford a Mac !