connector to reverse the orientation of the 30-pin connector?

Discussion in 'iPhone Accessories' started by maurysmusic, Feb 1, 2010.

1. maurysmusic macrumors newbie

I bought a Blue Mikey microphone for the iPhone. When plugged into the iPhone, it faces you as you're looking at the iPhone screen. It's back is facing the same direction as the iPhone camera. I would LOVE to use this Mikey with the camera to shoot video but its facing the wrong way. Is there any accessory out there that I can use that would in effect allow me to spin this mic to face the same direction as the camera?

2. NathanA macrumors 6502a

It's rather expensive, but if you don't find anything along the lines you describe (and I do not know if one myself), you can always get an iPhone dock connector extension cable from CableJive. ($26, though...ouch.)

-- Nathan

3. Daremo macrumors 68000

Daremo

Nope. The CableJive cable doesn't work. I've tried it. It only charges and synchs. It's not set up with all 30 pins connected. It even says it won't work for audio in on their website...

"Dock your iPod or iPhone from a distance. This male to female cable with iPhone/iPod connectors is compatible with all iPod and iPhone models. Choose black or white, in 2 or 6-foot lengths.

The Dock Extender Cable provides a connection for everything except S-video output, component video, and audio in for recording. It is constructed from high quality wire for for superior audio quality and speedy data transfer.
    "

I actually opened up my Blue Mikey, and it's easy to switch the speakers and microphones on the inside to face the opposite way. They are only held in with a rubber piece, and can be turned around, and re assembled with no cutting or soldering. Just be careful, the wires inside are thin.

I did a review of the Blue Mikey, and talked about all this on my blog, here...

Blue Mikey Review

4. maurysmusic thread starter macrumors newbie

thanks!

thanks guys! I'll try reversing the mics inside the Mikey. How exactly did you open the Mikey?

5. Daremo macrumors 68000

Daremo

The silver strip along the side of the grill holds it all together. It snaps in on the bottom of both sides, so you need to get your fingernail under there, or a small flat surface, and carefully start to pry out the strip. Once the strip is slid off, the front and back grill comes right off. It's very easy actually, no screws or anything at all to mess with. If this doesn't help you, I can try to take some photos of it.

6. maurysmusic thread starter macrumors newbie

thanks. I got impatient and tried my own way before I read your way :) I opened it by prying the black pieces apart. Came apart clean but won't stay shut, so I had to find the glue and electrical tape. But I LOVE these results:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=MjRv02U8QEg

7. Daremo macrumors 68000

Daremo

Very nice! I'm glad it worked out for you. I too am happy with the results after switching the mic and speakers. My big beef with the unit, is using a case, it doesn't stay in well at all. I'm looking forward to picking up the new one, which solves that problem, BUT, I'm pretty certain I will need to open it up, and do the same mod so it works with the video camera.

8. NathanA macrumors 6502a

Ah, thanks for pointing out the restriction on the extender cable. Didn't catch that.

About the microphone itself...although this doesn't touch on the specific use you guys are trying to use it for (recording audio + video facing backwards), are you guys able to successfully use this mic with iPhone OS 3.1+?

I ask because another "Made for iPod"-certified dock connector microphone, the MacAlly iVoice III, has worked great since version 2.2 all the way through 3.0, but as of 3.1 it works for a few seconds after being plugged in before the OS pops up a "This accessory is not made for iPhone/iPod" dialog box and then promptly cuts off the running application from the audio input (which was working just fine before the OS interrupted it).

I'm trying to figure out if this is the case with all dock-connector microphones or not. I had heard reports that the MacAlly iVoice Pro (which has a built-in speaker) works fine, but some people don't want a speaker integrated into their microphone that can't be muted/turned off. :p If this mic works with OS 3.1, though, then a good answer has been found for this dilemma.

-- Nathan

9. maurysmusic thread starter macrumors newbie

YES my Blue Mikey (version 1) does work with my iPhone 3GS 3.1 os.