Conservapedia "proven right"

Discussion in 'Politics, Religion, Social Issues' started by Heilage, Aug 12, 2012.

1. Heilage macrumors 68030

Heilage

http://www.conservapedia.com/Conservapedia_proven_right

As far as I have gathered, Conservapedia is not a joke, like ChristWire, but is a dead serious website dedicated to spreading the "conservative viewpoint", aka revisionism.

I must ask the US citizens on this board, do people really use this as a source of facts, or is it generally laughed at as a joke?

I'm scared.

2. NutsNGum macrumors 68030

NutsNGum

Finally, a use of the web for something other than cat photographs.

3. niuniu macrumors 68020

niuniu

A man of the people. The right sort of people.
    Don't think so mate, it's more like Uncyclopedia, not meant to be taken seriously. Have a read through it, it's just a laugh. Probably a group of lefties spoofing the ridiculousness of some Republican soundbites.

http://uncyclopedia.wikia.com/wiki/Mitt_Romney

4. MorphingDragon macrumors 603

MorphingDragon

Encyclopedia Dramatica > Uncyclopedia

5. Heilage thread starter macrumors 68030

Heilage

6. Thomas Veil macrumors 68020

Thomas Veil

It's taken as a serious website by fringe conservatives and as pathetic by everybody else.

From what I recall, a handful of right wing fruit loops decided that Wikipedia was too liberal (read: factual) for their tastes, and so they formed this as an alternative. Sort of what Fox "News" is to real news.

7. niuniu macrumors 68020

niuniu

Well that's a good point, we've seen people here link to Fox News as a source. So yeah, I guess maybe someone could confuse that site as an actual source of info.

Best guy to ask about that site is a member called thewitt.

8. Gelfin macrumors 68020

Gelfin

The answer to the question "is Conservapedia serious" is surprisingly complex.

The site was founded in all seriousness as an encyclopedia without Wikipedia's "obvious liberal bias" by a young man who is, according to all available evidence, certifiably insane. He believes that stuff, or more to the point, redefines "belief" according to a novel sort of utilitarian model of "truth" that rejects metaphysical correspondence or epistemic self-consistency models entirely (and probably does so explicitly as "liberal conspiracies," because sometimes such traditional truth models as "deductive logic" yield politically inconvenient results).

This Lysenkoist approach is unintentionally hilarious often enough for the site to attract more than its share of trolls, many of whom have not broken character (and thus been banned) for years. It is a testament to Schafly's unreliability that he himself is unable to distinguish even the more obviously ridiculous trolls from his own brand of sincere hyperbole and contrivance.

The sum of the thing thus falls somewhere between a Colbertesque joke and a startling examination of how bizarre an insular community of zealots can become, and how quickly.

9. Thomas Veil macrumors 68020

Thomas Veil

Can't we? ;)

For help, let's go to the real thing.

I remember his mom well (no, not personally), and she was something of a right wing nut too.

I love this guy's middle name, though. He's got the same middle name as Patrick Layton Paulsen, a very funny comedian who was pretty much the 1960s version of Stephen Colbert.

Paging Kevin Bacon.... :D

10. niuniu macrumors 68020

niuniu

He's an Ivy leaguer, which you would expect to contradict that

Unless of course this is true

11. .Andy macrumors 68030

.Andy

This is a perfect summary Gelfin :)

12. NewbieCanada macrumors 68030

Not was. Is. Still around, and her "Eagle Forum" is still spreading hate.

Nuttier still is her oldest son John - gay and equally homophobic as the rest of his family.

13. hulugu macrumors 68000

hulugu

This should be the entry for Conservapedia on Wikipedia.

14. Andeavor macrumors 6502

15. Sydde macrumors 68020

Sydde

Problem is, people gravitate to what they want to hear.
    The growth of the internets has caused "facts" to become increasingly unreliable, but the average person rarely looks past page one of a search and once hearing the desired thing, many will happily repeat such a "fact" until it eventually becomes "true". And, as Carlin said, "Consider the average American, then consider that half the country are stupider than that."

Of course, it could just be some researcher's attempt to test the bounds of Poe's Law.

16. LethalWolfe macrumors G3

LethalWolfe

I don't see any contradictions. It's like if someone is hallucinating and says they see a bear in their living room. It is true that the person believes there is a bear in their living room and it is also true that a bear is not in their living room.

17. Thomas Veil macrumors 68020

Thomas Veil

...which led me to check on what is the entry for Conservapedia on Wikipedia.

Holy (censored)...!

A few choice examples:

So, friends: facts are relative, science is a liberal plot, and...well, I defy any liberal to recognize him- or herself in that daffynition of what a liberal is.

18. citizenzen macrumors 65816

The best part of the description of what is a liberal is the photo of serial killer John Wayne Gacy with the caption ...

Does that give us liberty to depict the typical conservative with Timothy McVeigh?

19. MorphingDragon macrumors 603

MorphingDragon

- ed

I like this description more.

20. decafjava macrumors 68000

decafjava

Another one, they won't even, leave the bible alone!!!

WTF??? :eek:

This is actually blasphemy by the bible itself Revelation 22:18-19

Some Christians are offended as well:

http://mountainsageblog.com/2009/10/07/dont-like-the-bible-change-it-to-suit-yourself-conservapedia-bible-project/

Love the quote from Leviticus in the comments about taking care of the poor.

Anyway "Liberals" in the American (ie. not what the reast of us mean by the word) sense did not even exist in the ancient world. Nuts. Love the bit about adding Colbert to the bible. :p

21. niuniu macrumors 68020

niuniu

Waiting for some of the real righties to chime in.. :p

22. twietee macrumors 603

twietee

Attached Files:

23. Iscariot macrumors 68030

Iscariot

My favourite part of Conservapedia has to be the "overrated sports star" section. Because athletics have been a liberal stronghold for too long!

24. fox10078 macrumors 6502

fox10078