Conservatism / Libertarianism is the new counter culture

Discussion in 'Politics, Religion, Social Issues' started by thewap, Mar 11, 2016.

1. thewap macrumors demi-god

thewap

Progressives are the new puritans vs. the rising of conservative libertarians for individualism.
    Enjoy the video.

Screen Shot 2016-03-11 at 16.02.54.png

2. bent christian Suspended

bent christian

Ha, ha. I have seen this meme coming for years. Glad it's finally here so we can confront it head-on.

Conservatism is by definition a conformist ideology.

In the new conservative rebellion we see African-Americans being taunted, punched in the face in front of law enforcement to no response. And this is "direct action".

In the new conservative rebellion we see opposition to same-sex marriage. This conservative rebellion boils down to denial of public accommodation as a form of "protest".

In the new conservative rebellion we see grown men and women carrying firearms where ever they go, often shooting themselves or injuring other people. (more truthfully, this is probably a fear of the outside world than it is genuinely rebellious intent)

3. pooleman Suspended

pooleman

There is so much wrong with this statement I don't know where to begin.

Most conservatives carry guns everywhere and end up shooting themselves or others. Please back this statement up with any facts at all.

You know nothing of conservatism. There is no racism. I'm a conservative. I don't care what color you are. I dont care what you do I your home. You shouldn't care what I do in mine.

Virtually all of your posts contain references to race. You are the one making blanket statements about people you don't know. You are the racist.

4. bent christian Suspended

bent christian

Foucault. The most cliche' movie clips imaginable. Drivel and spittle.

Can I please have my four minutes back?

5. Meister Suspended

Meister

I noticed that you are new to PRSI:

the usual suspects usually talk about race all the time and then claim that everyone who disagrees with them is racist ... you'll see ... ;)

6. Populism macrumors regular

Populism

But but but RACISM!

7. pooleman Suspended

pooleman

What is PRSI?

8. Meister Suspended

Meister

This subforum.

9. pooleman Suspended

pooleman

Ha! I love it. Thanks. This forum is getting me so frustrated. Are people really this thick headed? I've been on here for years but usually only talk about Apple stuff. It's all pretty pleasant and tame.
    --- Post Merged, Mar 11, 2016 ---
    Got it. Thanks.

10. aaronvan Suspended

aaronvan

There is a lot of truth to that. If I wanted to seamlessly fit in with 95% of the student body on any collage campus I would declare myself liberal. If I wanted to be an iconoclastic rebel who raised eyebrows (and date liberal girls excited about my edginess) I'd claim conservationism.

11. Meister, Mar 11, 2016
    Last edited: Mar 11, 2016

Meister Suspended

Meister

Dad bod and conservatism ... I knew that my lifelong training would eventually pay off.

[​IMG]

12. Robisan macrumors 6502

This pretty much applies to the pompous child-doof in the video...

There are two novels that can change a bookish fourteen-year old's life: The Lord of the Rings and Atlas Shrugged. One is a childish fantasy that often engenders a lifelong obsession with its unbelievable heroes, leading to an emotionally stunted, socially crippled adulthood, unable to deal with the real world. The other, of course, involves orcs. (source)​

13. aaronvan Suspended

aaronvan

Read both for the first time in the past five years--many decades removed from the 14-year-old me. LOTR is an excellent trilogy and I regret mocking by brother when I was 14 for reading his "nerdy" books. Atlas Shrugged is the worst-written book I ever read: filled with silly melodrama and swollen with adverbs: "She laughed mockingly as he tore off her dress eagerly." Simply awful, especially since Ayn Rand had had twenty-five years to learn something from Hemingway when she published that atrocity. The Fountainhead sucked just as bad.

14. haxrnick macrumors 6502a

haxrnick

He/She hates white people. Just look at his/her post history. He/She is basically the opposite of smellysox yet his/her comrades here are silent.

15. thewap thread starter macrumors demi-god

thewap

Now the top Libertarians have just announced their support for Trump!

16. Thomas Veil macrumors 68020

Thomas Veil

Congrats, OP. I wasn't going to respond to any of your three most recent topics, because they just didn't seem worth it -- just a lot of deranged echo chamber stuff.

But this one is hilariously deranged. It's like watching Joe McCarthy declare himself the new Lenny Bruce.

bent christian pegged it -- it was only a matter of time before conservatives tried to imitate the cool kids. And just like dorks trying to imitate the cool kids, it's so pathetic.

17. thewap thread starter macrumors demi-god

thewap

Thanks Thomas, a well balanced opinion is always welcome.

18. Snoopy4 macrumors 6502a

Snoopy4

Yeah, you've got to let it roll. There are some on here that will post Hillary love threads. It's creepy. Like they have some fetish for grandma or something.
    --- Post Merged, Mar 16, 2016 ---
    Especially from one of the cool kids.

19. thewap thread starter macrumors demi-god

thewap

Progressives are more like a cult with intolerant dogma for tolerance of their point of view only, kind of similar to the Hitler youth syndrome.

20. Renzatic Suspended

Renzatic

Gramps, what the hell am I paying you for?
    A group of people coming together under a common banner, shunning those who of an opposite opinion or political leaning, shunting them all into a big box of They, totally separate from the box of Us, and calling themselves The New Freethinking Tolerance is an irony George Orwell would greatly appreciate.

21. dec. Suspended

dec.

As much as you'd like to see you and your kind as some kind of new avant-garde, I think that it's very boring to resort to cliches like Nazi comparisons. And the "why don't you tolerate our intolerance"-thingy really isn't that original anymore either...

22. Snoopy4 macrumors 6502a

Snoopy4

Google Trump. Let me know how many Nazi references you can find coming from the left.

<drops mic>

23. chown33 macrumors 604

The funny thing is I can replace the first word with a ________ fill in the blank, and it still has a ring of truth about it.

The tragic thing is that what anyone decides to fill in the blank with says more about themselves than whatever word they filled in the blank with.

24. dec. Suspended

dec.

A self-important "mic drop" after such a fail is rather embarrassing. At no point did or would I argue that Nazi references are a right-wing exclusive hobby. I find them tiring throughout. Anyway: Hitlary. <I'd drop the mic now too, had I picked it up>

25. pooleman Suspended

pooleman

I agree. The Hitler references are tired, boring, and so often just grossly inaccurate. The only thing worse on the internet than inaccurate Hitler references are the way overused eye roll emoji.