Conservative Roy Moore beats President Trump-supported Luther Strange in Alabama

Discussion in 'Politics, Religion, Social Issues' started by MadeTheSwitch, Sep 26, 2017.

1. MadeTheSwitch macrumors 6502a

MadeTheSwitch

Has the Trump magic worn off already?

https://www.cbsnews.com/news/alabama-special-election-luther-strange-roy-moore-live-results/

And what does this mean for the future? Will crazy come to the Senate or will the Democrat now win? Interesting times ahead!

2. chscag macrumors 68030

chscag

3. 0007776 Suspended

Given how Republican Alabama is a candidate would have to be pretty crazy to lose to the Democrats, and I'm assuming we would have all heard a lot more about how crazy this guy was already if that was the case.

I think the only way he might lose is if Trump decides to go to war with his own party and endorse the Democratic candidate since his chosen one lost the primary. If Democrats ignore the endorsement it might swing enough of Trump's base over to the Democratic candidate to put them over the top. I don't think this is likely, but given that Trump is only a Republican out of convenience he may decide it is better to have a moderate Democrat than another freedom caucus like person in the Senate.

4. Zombie Acorn macrumors 65816

Zombie Acorn

LOL Democrats don't have a snowballs chance in hell. Trump was forced by the Senate into this one. The people decided what would be best for the position.

5. citizenzen macrumors 65816

Probably right.

That doesn’t change the fact that trump backed a loser. (And last I saw, it was by a large margin.)

Short coattails.

6. MadeTheSwitch thread starter macrumors 6502a

MadeTheSwitch

Then that means that the GOP is in trouble as he will bring a level of crazy to capitol hill that will reflect poorly on the party. Bitherism, and more anti-gay stuff here we come. Yee-haw!!

7. Zombie Acorn macrumors 65816

Zombie Acorn

The establishment candidate lost. That's not good for Democrats or the Republican establishment

8. BoxerGT2.5 macrumors 68000

BoxerGT2.5

Those redneck SOB’s in the south love their gay bashing Christian politicians. So sick of both parties I could vomit.

9. citizenzen macrumors 65816

Doesn’t say a thing about Democrats.

It merely shows that Alabama—home of more deplorables than any other state—played to their deplorable base.

Means nothing here in California, where the deplorable-to-human ratio is relatively low.

s/

10. 0007776 Suspended

Or the country since these fringe candidates can't work together. And I had been wondering how long it would take for Trump to become the "establishment" I guess it wasn't long.

11. MadeTheSwitch thread starter macrumors 6502a

MadeTheSwitch

If Fox's take on things is correct:

Polls close in Alabama Senate runoff seen as test of Trump influence

http://www.foxnews.com/politics/201...nate-runoff-seen-as-test-trump-influence.html
    Then I guess he failed the test and doesn't have much influence anymore and neither does Pence. That must be quite embarrassing for them. I find this whole election and the way it played out really fascinating.

12. Zombie Acorn macrumors 65816

Zombie Acorn

It will mean something if they ever regain any type of power again.

13. MadeTheSwitch thread starter macrumors 6502a

MadeTheSwitch

I'd say it's not good for the whole country unless you think the anti-gay, religion obsessed fringe running things is good. Because that is where this all leads if estabishment types are replaced by the crazy fringe.

14. citizenzen macrumors 65816

Because these establishment Republicans have been sooo easy to work with. :rolleyes:

15. Zombie Acorn macrumors 65816

Zombie Acorn

Okay, have fun working with someone who the Republicans can't even cut a deal with because they are being too liberal.

16. Peace macrumors Core

Peace

Ya and the people of Alabama decided on a guy that was ousted TWICE as Alabama's chief Justice.

17. Solomani macrumors 68040

Solomani

Two conclusions from this:

1) Democrats still won't win Alabama
    and
    2) Trump is no longer capable of helping any Republican politician win their seats

Nothing else to say really. Let's move on to news that warrants more importance and gravitas than Trump…… like Kendall Jenner-Kardashian's pregnancy.

18. citizenzen macrumors 65816

I look forward to hearing news of trump's warrants.

19. bradl macrumors 68040

bradl

No. Trump wasn't forced by the Senate into this one. Trump created this problem, by nominating Sessions for AG. Trump didn't have to do this. But yeah.. blame the Senate for a choice Trump made.

BL.

20. Zenithal macrumors 604

Unless there's another Roy Moore out there, it baffles me why Dotard didn't support Roy Moore. He's a birther and believes Obama is a Muslim, anti-equality, has issues with minorities and immigration. He's Trump in a more palatable form. So why would Dotard support his flunky?

Strange is relatively unknown outside Alabama and has a fairy clean record.

21. MadeTheSwitch thread starter macrumors 6502a

MadeTheSwitch

I think he thinks that Moore's views will either:

A. Allow the democrat to win (unlikely)
    B. Create even more dysfunction on Capitol Hill, insuring that Trump's legacy will be getting nothing major done through congress. (the more likely reason)

Which is interesting when you consider that as you pointed out, he shares many of Trump's views!

22. Zenithal macrumors 604

And this is different from today... how?

23. Plutonius macrumors 604

Plutonius

I think that Trump was promised Senate support in return for Trump's support of the incumbent.

24. VulchR macrumors 68020

VulchR

Great - now the GOP are electing people who are more bat**** crazy than Trump. The GOP reductio ad absurdum continues apace.

25. Solomani macrumors 68040

Solomani

And yet still they haven't invited Kim Jong Un into their Members Only Club of Crazies??