Conservative Wall Street Journal admonishes Trump, dire warning.

Discussion in 'Politics, Religion, Social Issues' started by PracticalMac, May 17, 2017.

1. LizKat macrumors 603

LizKat

My concern about that frankly, is the ongoing militarization of American police forces, even in fairly small cities out in rural counties. Supposedly the tanks and the SWAT teams are largely about force protection when they have to bust meth labs or serve warrants on deranged domestic abusers, but... but...

2. webbuzz macrumors 68000

webbuzz

SWAT teams and police departments have tanks?

3. webbuzz macrumors 68000

webbuzz

4. LizKat macrumors 603

LizKat

I would have bet my bottom dollar you would go there.

5. webbuzz macrumors 68000

webbuzz

The armored bank truck or the rubber bullets?

It is accurate, they are not tanks.

6. LizKat macrumors 603

LizKat

Of course that was not my point in my reply. I refer to your deflection from the question of what do we think about the militarization of police forces to the issue of what do we call the stuff the cops use when they scarf it up and slap a talking point on why they did it. Same as deflecting from "that's not a machine gun" or whatever when people get into the 2A law threads.

Listen, someday the right is going to paint itself into a corner on this stuff. The law and order first thing versus the don't tread on me thing.

When the left offers a warning about militarization of police and the right comes back with (leaving out your bit about how that there in the photo is not a tank, which is true) hey we have to maintain law and order, I will not disagree about the latter point but I will always look askance at the building up of arms in a police force.

In a way it's the same objection I have to the death penalty. People think hey that scumbag deserves to get fried. That's a topical assessment, looking at the individual. What it never addresses is who is the entity who decides what is a capital crime? Shall we say taking money from the NRA is a capital crime? How about taking money from a bank? See the Congresscritters scurry to pass a law against the death penalty on, oh i dunno, humanitarian grounds, whatever. They wouldn't need 15 seconds to accommodate the rush to vote.

So who is the entity who decides that the rabble of the USA have got out of hand entirely and it's time to clamp down and set right any fools who think to come out of the woods with a rifle in hand? Jeff Sessions under Donald Trump? He's the one all hot to dot the landscape with extra (privatized) county jails and lock.them.up and throw away the key. Failing that, or backing it up, a militarized police force could seem a pretty reasonable adjunct to his idea of enforcing law and order. To me a lot of the reported hardware prep is overkill and its ordered use could be a major overreach.

In the context of this thread, my problems with Trump's administration so far are chiefly the lack of focus and the fact that he is so uninterested in the details of governance. But when he makes exceptions to the latter and throws some tweet out there derogating one of his own agency heads or aides, you have to wonder a) when will those guys tire of it and b) who the heck will TrumpGrump find to replace him after awhile. The quality trend is not likely to be a drift upward. In the meantime I wonder more about what the hell his agency heads and aides are actually doing. They are making it up as they go along and that includes whoever's trying to follow Jeff Session's marching orders. I guess the Wall Street Journal will make time to editorialize on that someday too. This administration is peppered with some way retrograde types on policy all the way around.

7. MadeTheSwitch macrumors 6502a

MadeTheSwitch

I just took a quick stroll through google images and this is just a small sample of what I found. So, you be the judge I guess.

IMG_2848.JPG IMG_2849.JPG IMG_2850.JPG IMG_2851.JPG

Also this story from Time:

This Is Why Your Local Police Department Might Have a Tank

http://time.com/2907307/aclu-swat-local-police/

8. webbuzz macrumors 68000

webbuzz

Your reply didn't come across as a question about the militarization of police. SWAT teams have been using armored trucks since the 1980s, most from Lenco, some converted bank trucks. I don't have an issue with their equipment.

I do have issues with no knock warrants.

Not tanks in your pictures, they are APC's. The article only mentions tank in the headline.

9. MadeTheSwitch macrumors 6502a

MadeTheSwitch

Then google has it wrong too, because those are the pics you get when putting in SWAT, police and tank. Try it yourself.

10. webbuzz macrumors 68000

webbuzz

I don't care what google says. They are titled that in search because loons call them tanks, they are APcs.

11. VulchR macrumors 68020

VulchR

OK - some US local law enforcement organisations have tracked and amoured vehicles. Not sure that's very comforting... or useful, for these machines are far from invulnerable.

12. webbuzz macrumors 68000

webbuzz

On the battlefield, you're correct.

In the streets around the world, they are adequate in protecting against small arms fire. Lenco trucks are used by law enforcement around the world, as are MRAPs.