Conservatives Fear Discrimination

Discussion in 'Politics, Religion, Social Issues' started by iBlazed, Mar 22, 2014.

1. iBlazed macrumors 68000

iBlazed

Wow, this article is pretty telling. Some fascinating poll results here. I think as much as the right wing of this country tried to disguise it and some even try to change it, there is a general theme of racism and fear in the GOP. Many of them already think whites are a minority and think that discrimination against white people will naturally increase because of it. (I think they're afraid of karma)

I have a theory, it may be incorrect, but just an observation. The South is predominantly conservative, the North is predominantly liberal. I believe that most of today's white conservatives (most conservatives) descend from slave owners or poor southern whites and these are the same people who's families fought to preserve slavery and 100 years later fought against civil rights. (And today are the same ones fighting gay rights) White Liberals, on the other hand, descend from the abolitionists. Of course, liberals have many more minorities in their ranks than conservatives which gives them a major advantage. This theory may be overly general, but I think there's some truth behind it. It seems the same groups of people, the same families, are consistently on the wrong side of history every century.

Let's discuss why it's mostly conservatives who already think whites are a minority, why it scares them so much, and how they're using that fear mongering to win themselves more votes while they still can.

On a side note, many blacks also think that whites are currently a minority, and Im puzzled as to why that may be. So much to talk about, please start...

Link

2. Meister Suspended

Meister

I dont think people should be labeled as black, white, yellow, female, male, gay, straight aso.
    Every person is completely different and thats a good thing.

Besides that the predominant skin pigmentation will tend to be darker in the future United States.
    That initself as neither good nor bad.

3. wrinkster22 macrumors 68030

wrinkster22

I am not sure the statistics in Canada but Toronto is very multicultural. Large populations of Somali, Vietnamese, Portuguese, Greek, and other nationalities and a right wing mayor was Elected. Also the PM is conservative and has a majority government.

4. iBlazed thread starter macrumors 68000

iBlazed

But what is the definition of a conservative in Canada? What are their values?

5. Huntn macrumors G5

Huntn

People tend to function with tribe mentality. What better way to identify "them" than appearance? Racial discrimination is a fact. While labels maybe somewhat of a negative, and not accurate (look at DNA ethnenticity results), nor are descriptions of race, humans still react in negative ways to perceived appearance, identified by racial stereotypes. IMO the labels are required to quantify the motivations behind common discrimination.

6. SoAnyway macrumors 6502

There are two qualities that I attribute to conservatives, they are ignorance and intellectual laziness. It makes no difference what the issue is, in this case a perceived discrimination against whites, it can often be traced back to utter ignorance and a failure to think critically. From that, fear is ginned up to rile the base and in the end, we get nonsense like this with no benefit to anyone, not even to the shrinking conservative minority.

7. sviato macrumors 68020

sviato

The conservatives in Canada are less conservative than the Republicans and Democrats in the States lol

8. LIVEFRMNYC macrumors 603

If that's true, then the liberals in Canada must be annoying pricks that sort their recyclable waste in 30 different categories. :p

9. sviato macrumors 68020

sviato

I remember the days of the garbage bin, green bin, grey recycling bin, and blue recycling bin :D

10. Meister Suspended

Meister

Thats germans. Here they have garbage police. They dig through the trash and if its not sorted correctly they try to identify the garbage criminal by analyzing the garbage to prosecute him. And instead of "Cops" they have TV shows that follow around the exciting garbage patrol. Of course the TV show is force financed by a fee payed by every citizen!

I kid you not!

Again: I kid you not!

11. LIVEFRMNYC macrumors 603

What's the show called?

12. Meister, Mar 22, 2014
    Last edited: Mar 22, 2014

Meister Suspended

Meister

I dont remember. i saw it many years ago. I havent watched german tv for over 10 years.
    I still remember it until today. Maybe you can find it on youtube. I remember that the episode I saw played in cologne.
    (I couldnt find it on youtube. But I think it was called "Ordnungshueter ...")

Another story:
    Two years ago i threw away a bunch of junk at my workplace and the janitor scolded me.
    He explained to me about the garbage police that will fine my place of employment if they see the unsorted trash.
    He explained to me that they come regularly to dig through it.

I was then forced to dig through a huge trashbin and take things apart because they contained a bit of plastic or wood or paper.
    They have all kinds of trashbins.

13. lannister80 macrumors 6502

lannister80

I wish busting people improperly recycling was the worst thing around here (and hence put on cops). Instead we have multi-generational poverty.

14. Meister, Mar 22, 2014
    Last edited: Mar 23, 2014

Meister Suspended

Meister

No worries. Germany also has plenty of that and on top of that it has multi-generational undereducation.
    And an educational system that sorts children in three intelligents categories at the age of 10. According to which they have to go to different schools.
    Interestingly children in the "not-intelligent-enough-category"almost always stem from poor families or imigrant families.

15. Zombie Acorn macrumors 65816

Zombie Acorn

16. Zombie Acorn macrumors 65816

Zombie Acorn

Well to be honest your entire post pretty much fell apart when you started stating that conservatives were slave holders and liberals were the abolitionists. Nevermind the conservative states that fought and bled on the correct side of the war. :rolleyes:

I wasn't going to say anything at first, but no one else did which is pretty telling although not surprising here in liberal land.

17. ElectronGuru macrumors 65816

Eraserhead's and citizenzen's posts above suggest to me at least, an intention toward fairness.

18. iBlazed thread starter macrumors 68000

iBlazed

Maybe I'm missing something but I'm not sure how any of this is related to the thread or even to my comment that you replied to. First of all, he didn't engage in any debate. He only attempted one witty comeback which failed. And other than that I don't see what all of America's shortcomings you just listed have anything to do with the OP. :confused:

----------

I said myself it was overly general but there is some truth behind it. You can't really deny a demographic reality. Are you really saying that it's completely false and there is no correlation whatsoever?

19. Zombie Acorn macrumors 65816

Zombie Acorn

Considering we have entire conservative states that fought on the opposite side of the war I am going to have to go ahead and say that being conservative has nothing to do with being a descendent of a slave owner.

Compared to liberals today everyone was conservative back then.

----------

Did we also completely forget that Abraham Lincoln was a Republican?

20. iBlazed thread starter macrumors 68000

iBlazed

I refuse to go over the party switch ever again with any conservative ever. I'm sure you know about it pretty well but continue to use that argument hoping the person you're debating doesn't know about it. Disassociate the names of modern day American political parties with conservatives and liberals of the past.

21. APlotdevice, Mar 23, 2014

APlotdevice macrumors 68040

APlotdevice

Yes: A pre-Southern Strategy, socially progressive Republican.

What people do seem to forget is that both parties underwent a major shift in their demographics during the 20th century.

22. Zombie Acorn macrumors 65816

Zombie Acorn

He would still be considered a conservative today merely for his beliefs in limited government, protecting the constitution, and god. Seems to be a lot of distortion around his image as the liberals attempt to envelop him to their cause.

23. APlotdevice, Mar 23, 2014

APlotdevice macrumors 68040

APlotdevice

"And God"? You know, conservatives don't hold a monopoly on religion. Most liberals in this country are, just by virtue of demographics, Christians. The only difference is that we don't have the religious zealots screaming to have the bible codified into law. Lincoln would likely have been sickened at the sight of so many modern Republicans pandering to these people. He understood that others had different beliefs, and respected that.

24. Eraserhead macrumors G4

Eraserhead

His argument is that the bailout is bad as it encourages bad behaviour and would have been better to let the banks enter bankruptcy than to save them.

While I disagree his argument does make logical sense.

We have a conservative government here, one of their policies is to pay welfare monthly like a salary rather than weekly and to make people on benefits pay their rent themselves rather than the government paying it directly to their landlords. That position on welfare makes logical sense to me as it makes being on welfare like having a real job - although it removes the guarantee of government rent to landlords so they are less likely to take tenants on benefits. They also have promoted charter schools and things like that.

Almost all conservatives here are pro-choice, they support the NHS, they might support less restrictions on guns, but they do so from a position where guns are pretty heavily restricted, and they might support more defence spending, but they do so when we spend half as much on defence as a percentage of GDP as the US does. They also aren't against things like high-speed rail on principle. They also are pretty likely to support gay marriage, even though unlike the US it isn't clearly unconstitutional to be against it.

If US conservatives talk about tax and welfare reform and education they can back their points up with logic in a way that they can't if they talk about mainstream conservative talking points like Obamacare.

25. Don't panic macrumors 603

Don't panic

no he wouldn't.