Conservatives: how do we rebuild our castle?

Discussion in 'Politics, Religion, Social Issues' started by yaxomoxay, Jul 5, 2016.

1. yaxomoxay macrumors 68000

yaxomoxay

It is now clear that Hillary will be the next president, and it is also clear that conservatives are in a very bad shape right now.
    Love or hate Trump, it doesn't matter: he's an expression of discontent, exactly as the Tea Party was.
    Without going into the "Hillary this, Obama that - Trump this, Bush that", how do we rebuild the conservative castle that now has crumbled?

2. Snoopy4 macrumors 6502a

Snoopy4

Her credibility just exploded in her face. Why are you panicking? People aren't going to take her recklessness lying down. You underestimate the middle.

3. CalWizrd Suspended

CalWizrd

Try leaving all of the social issue bulls**t (abortion, gay marriage, etc) at home. And tell the bible thumpers to find a new line of work.

That's a start.

4. yaxomoxay thread starter macrumors 68000

yaxomoxay

Even if Trump wins, Conservativism is at an all time low. This doesn't change, as it doesn't change that the best that conservatives could do was Ted Cruz... which I like as a guy in general but is no presidential material

5. lowendlinux Contributor

lowendlinux

6. jkcerda macrumors 6502

jkcerda

pretty much it.

7. SusanK macrumors 68000

Get rid of the crazies, bedroom peeping toms and general weirdos. GOP needs an electable candidate. Think Ronald Reagan. There are people who would vote Republican if personal freedoms were not at risk.

If GOP loses to HRC that will say it all.

8. LIVEFRMNYC macrumors 603

They just need to accept that it's not the mid 50's anymore.

9. yaxomoxay thread starter macrumors 68000

yaxomoxay

But that's important for most of us, although I disagree sometimes with the methods (and, although I am a Christian etc. I disagree with discussing politics or social issues by quoting the Bible). If you ask a conservative to not talk about social issues your asking for a lie in name of a political victory. This is not what I am asking in this thread.

10. bent christian Suspended

bent christian

1) Wait for self-involved Baby Boomers to die off (2-3 election cycles).

2) Build a foundation, not on racism, homophobia, and misogyny.

3) Distance yourselves from religious zealots.

Things will only get more difficult for hard line conservatives over the next ten years. Demographics are shifting out of your favor in big ways. The White male vote is no longer a reliable base to rest completely on. A 2016 presidency is lost for Republicans. This will mean sixteen years without having won a national election. When you get to about twenty years, people will start noticing the impotence. "Big", "strong" conservatives will want nothing to do with this "weak" and "low energy" party of "losers".

11. yaxomoxay thread starter macrumors 68000

yaxomoxay

That is true

12. VulchR macrumors 68020

VulchR

As somebody who leans to the left, I'd say a good start would be to decide whether conservatives want to regulate morality and impose government control or maximise freedom. Right now in the US (and to some extent in the UK), it seems like conservatives make a hash of the two. For instance, opposing reproductive rights but fighting for gun rights. In the end it doesn't seem consistent to me. Another thing that would help would be to move more toward evidence-based policy making, and supporting a culture in the society of discussing evidence. I still find it appalling that in my advanced years I have never seen a politician refer to a graph or a plot while making a speech. Not. One Speech...Ever.

Yet in science we'd feel rather naked about making assertions without showing the data on which the assertion is based.

13. mrkramer macrumors 603

mrkramer

You need to start dumping your extremists and appealing to the center. Let the Religious Right join a third party like the Constitution Party, if they are gone you'll see big gains among moderates. Use the Republican Party of Eisenhower, or Teddy Roosevelt as your model, not Reagan. We've tried Reganomics for the past 30 years and have a massive debt to show for it and little growth in the average person's wage when adjusted for inflation.

14. yaxomoxay thread starter macrumors 68000

yaxomoxay

In other words, conservatives would need a new intellectual resurgence, something that aides in re-thinking conservative ideals and move it from "dogma"?

15. impulse462 Suspended

impulse462

Yeah. How about instead of chastising intellectual conservative thinkers and fiscal conservatives to pander to bible thumpers just to get votes, those are the people who should be the stars of the party. Maybe then I'd take them more seriously. As it is now, GOP has no answer for even a mediocre democrat nominee. The last intellectual GOP president was probably Richard Nixon and look how that turned out.

16. jkcerda macrumors 6502

jkcerda

who had castles in the 50's? plenty of "conservatives" are stuck in the 1800's :p

17. mrkramer macrumors 603

mrkramer

Then at least be open about your contempt for the first amendment and have conservative candidates that will push to repeal it. It may not get a lot of votes, but if you are wanting to see conservatism as having a Christian nation then at least be honest, some people may appreciate that honesty.

18. Snoopy4 macrumors 6502a

Snoopy4

Isnt that what Trump is doign?

19. appleisking macrumors 6502a

How about dumping your ridiculous evangelical voting bloc so that you can actually stick to the mantra of getting the government off our backs. How about exercising limited government when it comes to controlling people's abortion and marriage rights. How about being willing to cut the military like every other program you guys want to slash. I would think strongly about taking a leaf out of the libertarian playbook. That's true conservatism not the ridiculous neocon establishment, the religious conservatives like Ted Cruz, or the authoritarianism bordering on fascism Donald Trump.

20. rdowns macrumors Penryn

rdowns

21. WarHeadz macrumors 6502a

WarHeadz

Then don't expect to rebuild your castle. This is precisely what's holding you back. I honestly don't know a single social conservative in real life, but I know plenty of Republicans who support gay marriage and wish the GOP would drop their opposition to civil rights so the party can win back so much of the respect they have lost by pandering to the religious right.

22. lowendlinux Contributor

lowendlinux

Here's the thing a conservative and/or republican may not be a social conservative.

23. WarHeadz macrumors 6502a

WarHeadz

By saying he would nominate SCOTUS justices to overturn Obergefell? No. That's the exact opposite of what Trump is doing.

24. yaxomoxay thread starter macrumors 68000

yaxomoxay

I like your provocation, and I think that - although sarcastically - you hit the target. One thing I notice among my conservative friends is that they are unable to entertain a serious, deep, political conversation.
    Example is gay marriage. Although I am on the conservative side (*** Please notice I am using this as an example, I do not want to start a discussion on gay marriage itself ***), I notice that it always ends up with Bible quotes, or "our Founding fathers", or some utter nonsense, let's say a modern ipse dixit. There is a lack of policy analysis, or even political analysis.
    --- Post Merged, Jul 5, 2016 ---
    That's why I said most.

25. WarHeadz macrumors 6502a

WarHeadz

I would say at least 50% of them aren't, actually. When every liberal and half of conservatives disagree with your social agenda, admit defeat and move on. If you choose not to, don't complain about your crumbling castle. If they think they have a chance of flipping people to their side on social issues that just won't be happening.