Conservatives Pranked by Sacha Baron Cohen Can't Stop Hyping His New Show

Discussion in 'Politics, Religion, Social Issues' started by RootBeerMan, Jul 13, 2018.

1. RootBeerMan macrumors 6502a

RootBeerMan

I've been following this the last couple of days, as it has developed and it has been highly amusing. Cohen is back with a new show and is doing ambush interviews that may well be some laugh out loud stuff. He got Dick Cheney to sign a waterboarding kit, did something to Palin and has managed to get Roy Moore to threaten to sue him (that's never worked before). Some of his "victims" are enraged, but others have just taken it in stride an laughed it off. It will be interesting to see who has the ability to laugh at themselves. So far Palin and Moore not able to laugh. I don't get Showtime so I'll have to wait on clips or Netflix.

https://www.vice.com/en_us/article/...ron-cohen-cant-stop-hyping-his-new-show-vgtrn

2. flyinmac macrumors 68040

flyinmac

While I’m not personally offended by his actions, I do believe it shouldn’t be done.

It borders on fraud. And is malicious actions for profit.

People do legitimately make mistakes. All of us. And sometimes we do the wrong thing with the best of intentions.

So while the targets may have done some bad things in the past, some of them didn’t necessarily set out to do the wrong thing.

Thrust any one of us into those situations, put us under the microscope, and require an immediate decision from us that might be a life and death call, and see how many of our decisions are viewed as “right” when reviewed by someone who had the luxury of viewing it from a relaxing seat at Starbucks sipping an espresso.

Democrats and Republicans are all people. And all subject to mistakes when under pressure. I’m not defending self serving agendas. But, other decisions can be wrong when reviewed later, but under pressure in the heat of the moment, it might have seemed the only option.

To produce comedy is fine. And it’s fine sometimes to pick fun at people if not mean spirited.

But... to actually deliberately seek out people and commit fraud to manipulate them into a situation so you can sell the video footage... that is very self serving, and malicious, and in some circumstances illegal.

Based on what little the article said, it would appear that this time he may lose the legal war, and possibly face jail time as well for fraud.

Everything needed to prove fraud would be in his video footage. And at the very least, he could be held liable for any expenses others incurred as a result of his fraud. For example, travel expenses, lost time, etc... that anybody incurred.

Then of course you can add any number of other charges criminally once they decide to pursue it on fraud.

3. widgeteer macrumors 68000

He made Palin look like a schmuck. I think it’s fantastic.

4. RootBeerMan thread starter macrumors 6502a

RootBeerMan

5. mudslag, Jul 23, 2018
    Last edited by a moderator: Jul 26, 2018

mudslag macrumors regular

mudslag

6. hulugu macrumors 68000

hulugu

Meh, I don't know. He got Georgia's Jason Spencer to yell the n-word, use a similar epithet against people from the Middle East, and then charge backwards with his pants around his ankles to startle homophobic Muslim extremists.

In other words, Spencer's a fool unveiled. And, Georgia voters are better off having him gone.

7. mac_in_tosh, Jul 25, 2018
    Last edited: Jul 25, 2018

mac_in_tosh macrumors regular

mac_in_tosh

Are you familiar with the old Candid Camera show with Alan Funt? People were caught on camera reacting to crazy things happening. Do you think it deliberately sought out people and committed fraud to manipulate them into a situation so they could sell the video footage? It was a comedy show, just like Cohen's. I think what some people are objecting to is how foolish some public figures on the right showed themselves to be.

I'm not a lawyer and can't comment on the legality of what Cohen does. Did Candid Camera get releases from people before airing film? Based on the objections raised, I'm sure Cohen's show doesn't. Is that what you are referring to as possibly being illegal?

Edit: Post #11 below links to an article discussing the release people sign for Cohen's show.

8. hulugu macrumors 68000

hulugu

Generally speaking, it's not fraud to misrepresent yourself, especially with the aim of completing documentary work, so I could see how Cohen's production company can maneuver through.

9. BeeGood macrumors 68000

BeeGood

Probably.

However, I’d like to mention that this is the same Jason Spencer being referred to here:

https://www.google.com/amp/s/amp.cn...son-spencer-who-is-america-resigns/index.html

Anyone who isn’t a garbage human being would refuse to do the stuff he did on that show. He outed himself, and this isn’t the first time. My state and the country is better off when people like this don’t have positions of responsibility.

10. RichardMZhlubb macrumors regular

RichardMZhlubb

Cohen has the people who appear sign releases. They have only themselves to blame.