Conservatives push to secede from ultra-progressive Maryland

jkcerda

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Jun 10, 2013
Criminal Mexi Midget
http://thelibertarianrepublic.com/conservatives-push-secede-ultra-progressive-maryland/#axzz2t2r3uD1z

Maryland so left-wing that “there is no recourse, there is no hope” for conservative counties.

Under Governor Martin O’Malley, Maryland is quickly becoming one of the most progressive U.S states.

Maryland’s gun regulations rank among the strictest in the nation. Weeks after O’Malley signed them into law last May, Baltimore was wracked by a series of 28 shootings and 10 homicides over a period of five days. The city experienced a 7.4% increase in homicides last year.

Likewise, Maryland’s taxes are crippling. It has been ranked as one of the worst states in the country for businesses to operate in: Texas Governor Rick Perry has even invited Maryland businesses to move to Texas. Thousands of high-earning residents have fled the state, costing it $1.7 billion in lost tax revenue. Beretta firearms is taking their business to Louisiana.

Read more at TLR: Conservatives push to secede from ultra-progressive Maryland | The Libertarian Republic http://thelibertarianrepublic.com/conservatives-push-secede-ultra-progressive-maryland/#ixzz2t8G15egZ
Follow us: @LibRepublic on Twitter | LibertarianRepublic on Facebook
good luck :)

bradl

macrumors 601
Jun 16, 2008
Didn't they try this before with some progressive President from Illinois?

Wow, history sure has a way of repeating itself.

BL.

SoAnyway

macrumors 6502
May 10, 2011
These Libertarians should move to Somalia or Haiti if they want freedom that bad. These places are a paradise since they fit the criteria of freedom that Libertarians are constantly lusting after. Just ask the average Somali or Haitian how successful they are individually because their government has given them all the freedom they can ever want in life.

hulugu

macrumors 68000
Aug 13, 2003
quae tangit perit Trump
Well, considering the number of successful attempts for a county to separate from a state, I wish them luck.

Though, I question the source's credibility since the site's geography is so bad they think Tenn. is in "the deep south" and called Louisiana.

steve knight

macrumors 68030
Jan 28, 2009
Texas wants them and that is a good distance away. maybe they can get rick perry to pay their way.

bradl

macrumors 601
Jun 16, 2008
I still keep thinking "153 years and they still haven't learned."

I wonder if they are posting this with the significance of this day, let notwithstanding political party.

BL.

lannister80

macrumors 6502
Apr 7, 2009
Chicagoland
Most people in Virginia always called Maryland The People's Republic of Maryland. These news agencies are really behind the times.
Psh, maybe out in rural crap-Virginia. I usually called Maryland "that damn place I have to take the Red Line to once in a while".

At least you can buy hard booze from regular liquor stores (who can compete on price!) in MD, instead of those goofy state-monopoly ABC stores in VA.

Last edited:

jnpy!$4g3cwk

macrumors 65816
Feb 11, 2010
We're going to need a new Missouri Compromise

When I saw this, I immediately thought of the movement in Southern Arizona to split off the state. People in Tucson don't want to associate with Maricopa County any more (think Sheriff Joe Arpaio).

TUCSON, Arizona (Reuters) - A long-simmering movement by liberal stalwarts in southern Arizona to break away from the rest of the largely conservative state is at a boiling point as secession backers press to bring their longshot ambition to the forefront of Arizona politics.

A group of lawyers from the Democratic stronghold of Tucson and surrounding Pima County have launched a petition drive seeking support for a November 2012 ballot question on whether the 48th state should be divided in two.
http://www.huffingtonpost.com/2011/05/10/baja-arizona-state_n_859954.html

And, of course, there are those eastern plains counties in Colorado that want to break away. The plan to split California into 3 to 6 states. The plan to split New York into 2 or 3 parts (at one point some folks on Long Island wanted their own state), the plans to split Texas into 2, 3, or even 5 parts.

And, actually, I am in favor of many of these proposals. We just need to make sure that as we split, the number of Red States and Blue States stays constant. Just like the similar idea in the Missouri Compromise. ;)

jkcerda

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Jun 10, 2013
Criminal Mexi Midget
When I saw this, I immediately thought of the movement in Southern Arizona to split off the state. People in Tucson don't want to associate with Maricopa County any more (think Sheriff Joe Arpaio).

http://www.huffingtonpost.com/2011/05/10/baja-arizona-state_n_859954.html

And, of course, there are those eastern plains counties in Colorado that want to break away. The plan to split California into 3 to 6 states. The plan to split New York into 2 or 3 parts (at one point some folks on Long Island wanted their own state), the plans to split Texas into 2, 3, or even 5 parts.

And, actually, I am in favor of many of these proposals. We just need to make sure that as we split, the number of Red States and Blue States stays constant. Just like the similar idea in the Missouri Compromise. ;)
I would LOVE it if Kommiefornia split:)