Conservatives think they won this election. They didn't.

Discussion in 'Politics, Religion, Social Issues' started by vrDrew, Nov 11, 2016.

1. vrDrew macrumors 65816

Never mind the fact that Hillary Clinton actually won 2 million more votes than Trump did.

No, the indications are that President-Elect Trump is far less enthusiastic about many of the looney-tunes Republican ideas than they might have thought. Case in point:

Trump says he's amenable to keeping several parts of ObamaCare.

Funny how that works, isn't it.

I'm not going to pretend this changes my opinion of President-Elect Trump. It doesn't. It will take several months of calm, considered, and wise political decisions to have any chance of doing that.

But I'm taking some comfort in the idea that Trump, when confronted with stark reality, is at least willing to concede to fundamental truths. Unlike more than a few names in the Republican politburo,

2. Shanghaichica macrumors 603

Shanghaichica

We will have to wait and see what he does. Obviously I hope that he isn't extreme however by not doing many of the things he promised he's going to anger a lot of his supporters.

3. citizenzen macrumors 65816

From what has been coming out in the news, it would seem that Trump's more liberal side is re-emerging.

Keep moving it Left, Donnie ... a little more to the Left.

4. aaronvan Suspended

aaronvan

If the Left had spent less time expressing their outrage over Halloween costumes and more time expressing their empathy for unemployed Pennsylvania steelworkers they would not have experience this colossal defeat.

5. samcraig macrumors P6

I said it in another thread. The truth is that Donald's lack of experience is biting him in the ass right now. He is only at the tip of the iceberg of how much he doesn't know about how things actually work and what the job actually is. It's one thing to bad mouth the president and those running for the job insisting you can do it better than they can. But the job title and public facing role portrayed is very different than the actual job. I suspect that many of his campaign promises will be just that.

I don't fault him so much on that given that there's really only so much you can do. And things take time. Sometimes 4, 8, 12 years.

6. MacAndMic macrumors 6502

Based on estimates she may win the popular vote by 2 million.....when the total count is in, we can revisit this. Regardless, where is she now? Oh, that's right, she lost. There is a reason we have an electoral system.

As for the keeping some of the good out of the ACA, it is very wise to do so for those couple of aspects for the good of the people. That is called being a great president. Liberals however will use it to puff out their chests and say "see we are right" about him without a single care of the good it does for the country.

All the while, they never understood the allure of Trump because they were too busy listening to what their side brainwashed them with. Here is a news flash for you, Trump is not a conservative's conservative. He has conservative values with common sense solutions. If he was a champion for conservatives, he would have repeated Romney's loss. His supporters knew this about him and it is why he was elected.

7. shyam09 macrumors 68000

shyam09

Re: Bold -- I think that's fair. He's trying to strike some sort of middle ground. If he can come up something that benefits both sides, I'm happy with that.

We'll have to wait on the results of this one. But it's the NYT so :rolleyes:

8. SusanK macrumors 68000

Pence is heading up the transition. Pence scares me to death.

9. Zombie Acorn macrumors 65816

Zombie Acorn

Trump was a democrat before a republican so I don't see why this is surprising.

10. MacNut macrumors Core

MacNut

And his kids are there too. The same kids that will be running his company. Conflict?

11. aaronvan Suspended

aaronvan

vrDrew is projecting again. I've listened to a number of political podcasts and without exception, the conservative pundits are extremely wary about Trump.

12. SusanK macrumors 68000

The real news is now the weird news. Should be an interesting ride. Didn't matter who won the election. The American people would be the losers either way. Sad.

13. Shanghaichica macrumors 603

Shanghaichica

As Trump is so inexperienced it's logical that there will be a lot of people pulling the strings in the background and advising him. However we can only hope that those behind him will be moderate republicans.

14. samcraig macrumors P6

No - actually we're commenting because Trump is a hypocrite for screaming repeal and replace and then adopting some of the very core aspects of the plan. He didn't say it needed to be reworked (before). He said the whole thing has to go.

Selective listening or memory?

15. tunerX Suspended

tunerX

Whatever helps you cope... yeah trump is now progressive so a progressive won the election... yeah that's the ticket.

16. MacAndMic macrumors 6502

Existing conditions and age, that's just common sense. I hope there is a qualification, you can only get these benefits if you are registered Republican or independent as it is clear that democrats certainly do not want these benefits.

17. samcraig macrumors P6

Why would you say something so obtuse?

18. kobalap macrumors 6502

I feel badly for the people who are unemployed or underemployed in the various swing states. Doubly so because there isn't really any intelligent way to describe how to bring back manufacturing to the United States.

But you know, at least we have someone famous in the White House. That's gotta count for something, right?

19. LIVEFRMNYC macrumors 603

Trump comes from the good ol' boys club of the North. And even though that's not a good thing, it's still a much better contrast from the good ol' boys club of the South.

20. kobalap macrumors 6502

Yeah, as patriotic people, it is our duty to exclude fellow Americans from enjoying benefits that we enjoy simply because they disagree with us politically.
    --- Post Merged, Nov 11, 2016 ---
    Man, I don't hear this much praying even when I go to church on sundays.

21. LIVEFRMNYC macrumors 603

The Mid West is going to be highly disappointed.

22. aaronvan Suspended

aaronvan

Hillary wasn't famous?

23. kobalap macrumors 6502

Not TV show famous.

24. citizenzen macrumors 65816

There's one way.

Say hello to Third World wages.

I say, let's start building the shantytowns today.

25. jpietrzak8 macrumors 65816

jpietrzak8

Wow. You think Trump is going to do anything at all to help unemployed Pennsylvania steelworkers? That his ability to tear up trade agreements and threaten companies will do anything to create new jobs?

I guess what you're really saying is that Democrats really need to up their game in lying to the American people, the way that the Republicans now have.