Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

edesignuk

Moderator emeritus
Original poster
Mar 25, 2002
London, England
Do you think I'd notice a speed increase? Or decrease? I don't do anything heavy (like video editing, 3D modeling etc). The Quicksilver has dual 1GHz processors, but has SD RAM (100MHz FSB), where as the PB has DDR333. :D The Quicksilver has 1GB RAM, and I'd kit the PB out likewise ;)

One reason I am considering the move is that my parents have planed a lot of building work this summer (the house will be in pieces!), and I can't see how on earth I'd have the space to have my comp setup, so this seems as good a time as any to make the move to a portable.

So what do you think?

Many thanks!

MacFan25

macrumors 68000
Jan 5, 2003
USA
The speed probably won't be much of a difference, if you aren't really doing much that utilizes both processors. But don't you have like a 2 or 3 monitor set-up? Are you planning on keeping those, and using them with the Powerbook?

crazzyeddie

macrumors 68030
Dec 7, 2002
Florida, USA
You will see a speed decrease when you're using more than 1 app... even iTunes + Safari makes a difference with 1 processor, depending on how picky you are. For Photoshop, duals do matter, but i've never had to wait more than 1 or 2 seconds on my 1ghz Powerbook for anything reasonable to render, almost everything is instant. The DDR vs SDR wont make much, if any, difference because the G4 doesn't use DDR basically, since it has that 167mhz bus. If you're using one app at a time, for instance... well its hard to find an app that only uses one processor now that really needs alot of CPU, but I guess ill just go back to Photoshop... if you're using Photoshop with non-MP filters, then it would be faster on the Powerbook.

thehuncamunca

macrumors 6502
Jul 9, 2003
NJ
don't think that for the price it's really worth it you'll probably see a speed decrease since DDR is poorly supported by the G4 and the HD spins slower
wait and save up for a nice G5 powerbook cause when they do come out they'll be quite nice and you'll regret having bought a g4 powerbook

edesignuk

Moderator emeritus
Original poster
Mar 25, 2002
London, England
@MacFan25
I'm using 2 x 18" LCD's (1280x1024 each). I'm thinking I can use the 15.2" screen on the PB (1280x854) & one of these when I'm at my desk and not see to much of a difference.

@crazzyeddie
Photoshop performence isn't all that important, I have a 3.25GHz P4 desktop system (1GB DDR, SATA Drives, 9800Pro, DVDR etc), and that allready pisses all over my quicsilver for stuff like that :eek:

@thehuncamunca
The problem with waiting for a G5 PB is that I could be waiting another year easily, you know what Apple are like. Even when they do have it ready to go they'll take for ****ing ever to release it :rolleyes:
I could also easily get a 7200RPM drive it that was really an issue for me, though for running Safari, Office, Mail, iTunes etc I would have thought the 5400 drive would suffice?

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.