Considering exchanging my near perfect iPad.

Nikos

macrumors 68000
Original poster
Nov 20, 2008
New York
I purchased a 32GB WiFi iPad and I'm considering exchanging it for a 64GB WiFi or 4G model. I have a 64GB iPhone 4S and my music library alone is 36GB, so I wasn't able to put it all on my iPad. This doesn't bother me as much as I thought it would, but I'm already running a bit low on space and it hasn't even been a week.

Anyway, the only thing holding me back is that my iPad is almost perfect. There is VERY minimal back light bleeding, no pink or yellow tinge to the screen and my battery is great. I've been using it for a few hours per night (gaming, reading, surfing etc.) and had to charge it today for the first time. It's been charging for 3.5 hours and it's already at 65%.

I realize that complaints are usually blown out of proportion and that my replacement will fall under Apple's return policy, but I'm still not sure what to do. Any suggestions?

eawmp1

macrumors 601
Feb 19, 2008
FL
Buy space you need.
The vast majority of iPads are just fine. You are a victim of selection bias. MacRumors is not a representative sampling of iPad owners. And happy people don't post.

azure247

macrumors 6502
Sep 9, 2008
I would certainly return it if I was unhappy with 32GB. I ordered a 64GB myself that should arrive Monday. I dont have an iphone anymore so I need the space for music, movies, pictures. 32GB is toooo easy to hit on my iphone 4s.

MR1324

macrumors 6502
Nov 22, 2010
i think you should upgrade to the 64gb because it sounds like you clearly need more space.

greytmom

macrumors 68040
Jun 23, 2010
I purchased a 32GB WiFi iPad and I'm considering exchanging it for a 64GB WiFi or 4G model. I have a 64GB iPhone 4S and my music library alone is 36GB, so I wasn't able to put it all on my iPad. This doesn't bother me as much as I thought it would, but I'm already running a bit low on space and it hasn't even been a week.

Anyway, the only thing holding me back is that my iPad is almost perfect. There is VERY minimal back light bleeding, no pink or yellow tinge to the screen and my battery is great. I've been using it for a few hours per night (gaming, reading, surfing etc.) and had to charge it today for the first time. It's been charging for 3.5 hours and it's already at 65%.

I realize that complaints are usually blown out of proportion and that my replacement will fall under Apple's return policy, but I'm still not sure what to do. Any suggestions?
On Saturday, I exchanged my almost perfect 32GB for an even more perfect 64GB. Fear not.

BlueKhufu

macrumors regular
Nov 27, 2010
I would certainly return it if I was unhappy with 32GB. I ordered a 64GB myself that should arrive Monday. I dont have an iphone anymore so I need the space for music, movies, pictures. 32GB is toooo easy to hit on my iphone 4s.
oops.. ignore me. to OP, yes, return it if you want the space. someone someday will get yours as a refurb and will be happy about it. :)

Last edited:

waynep

macrumors 6502
Dec 31, 2009
The few unhappy ones are always the loudest. Most are busy playing with their new iPad to post! :) Get what you need . . .

christophermdia

macrumors 6502a
Sep 28, 2008
I always go 64 just in case, and I usually fill it up with nonsense I never need but again....just in case...however, I never put music on my iPad, I prefer my phone for that....but with the iTunes match now, I can have all my music and listen to only what I need on my iPad.....consider that, it works well....

tonyy

macrumors 6502a
Oct 8, 2011
Dallas
I'm in the same boat. I have a perfect wifi only iPad. Screen is excellent, battery life is good, and no "heat", etc but I'm itching for a 4G model.

I was hesitant at first but I think it'll be fine. It's a small percentage of owners here in MR. Fear not!

ZBoater

macrumors G3
Jul 2, 2007
Sunny Florida
I just tried downloading the 9th season of NCIS for a nice long weekend and found out it won't fit. And I have the 64GB. Sigh.

greytmom

macrumors 68040
Jun 23, 2010
I just tried downloading the 9th season of NCIS for a nice long weekend and found out it won't fit. And I have the 64GB. Sigh.
For situations like this, I have the Seagate Goflex Satellite (wireless).

sulpfiction

macrumors 68040
Aug 16, 2011
Philadelphia Area
Not to rain on ur parade, but I exchanged a PERFECT wifi model for a VZW LTE model...and guess what? It has a horrible yellow tint. I'm not OCD and I have NEVER replaced any iOS device I've had since 07. But this screen is driving me crazy. I was hoping with some usage it's would brighten up, but as of yet it hasn't gotten any better. And it's not a uniform tint. It looks like a fine yellowish haze in some areas. But on the flip side its perfect in every other way. It runs totally cool, perfect back lighting, etc. but the display is the most important thing to me. So If its not showing improvement by the weekend it will be going back on Saturday. I know the vast majority are perfect so my odds are good of getting a perfect display this time around. We shall see.

thatoneguy82

macrumors 68000
Jul 23, 2008
Beach Cities, CA

Seems like you have made a decision. I sort of in the same position as you were since I realized my iPad was going to be utilized much more. Even though my music is in the "cloud" via iTunes match, it will get downloaded onto the device and take up space. This will add up and you'll have less space. Also for videos and picture/camera roll; some instances upgrading to a new iOS over the phone. You have probably decided to get the 64GB but you just needed a push or a love tap. :p

TSX

macrumors 68030
Oct 1, 2008
Texas
Just turn on home sharing when at the house and your whole library will be on your iPad without taking up any storage.

Caliber26

macrumors 68000
Sep 25, 2009
Orlando, FL
Just turn on home sharing when at the house and your whole library will be on your iPad without taking up any storage.
This is something many people seem to take for granted. Chances are you'll use your iPad at home most of the time. And is it really necessary to carry around your entire movie/music collection with you every where you go? It's not like you will listen/view it all anyway.

However, I can also understand the OP and his desire to house all of his media in one place. I'm like that too. I just exchanged my perfect WiFi iPad last night for an LTE version and was worried I'd get one with defects but the new one is perfect too. I say exchange it.

Nikos

macrumors 68000
Original poster
Nov 20, 2008
New York
So I decided to exchange for the 64GB and this one has a dead pixel, some backlight leak at the bottom and a weird hue on the top right. Looks like I'll be going back tomorrow. Hopefully the next one is good because I don't want to seem like a nitpicker. :(

MelodyMarch03

macrumors member
Mar 7, 2012
Buy space you need.
The vast majority of iPads are just fine. You are a victim of selection bias. MacRumors is not a representative sampling of iPad owners. And happy people don't post.
To add to that, quit worrying about what everyone says on here, you have to do what is best for you. If that means exchanging, so be it, if not, so be it. Ultimately, it is all about what will make you most happy!

Nikos

macrumors 68000
Original poster
Nov 20, 2008
New York
Keep going til you get a perfect one....you have too
Yeah, I hate to be a pain but, for $760, I should have a near-perfect device. I know they're out there since my last one was good. I'm sure Apple will understand.

Redjericho

macrumors 6502a
Sep 16, 2011
I swear, if the one I preordered has anything wrong with it i'm gonna shoot myself, hopefully they get some stuff ironed out in the 2-3 week processing and shipping period.

IllIllIll

macrumors 65816
Oct 2, 2011

Subscribe to iTunes Match? That'll take care of that 36GB music collection of yours.