Considering giving up unlimited data for tethering?

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by Kayzle, Jan 19, 2013.

1. Kayzle macrumors member

So I need y'all's help.

I rarely even go over 1.5 gigs of data a month and I would really like to use tethering. Mainly for those days I have my iPad with me and there is no wifi around. I knowsss of you guys say keep unlimited at all costs but if I never use it to its potential then what's the point? Especially when I can't hav me the tethering I really need?

Does anyone have any reasons for me keeping unlimited that I'm missing? Please advise

2. barkomatic macrumors 68040

If you are using an iPhone 5 with LTE and you still only hit 1.5 gigs then maybe a tethering plan is for you. If you're not on LTE, then realize that your data use could dramatically increase. My own usage went from barely 500mb per month to between 3 and 5 GB.

3. BiggAW macrumors 68020

LTE won't increase data usage unless the user is currently using a horribly overloaded 3G network (i.e. Manhattan). Once you go over 1 mpbs, the data usage just does't go up.

4. barkomatic macrumors 68040

Your usage patterns may change once you realize faster speeds however. I never bothered using various apps that used data when I was on 3G. However, those same apps became suddenly much more useful.

5. Tunnelrunner macrumors regular

I say go for it. I gave up my unlimited plan to go to a 4GB monthly plan and haven't had any problems. With the unlimited plan, the most I ever used was an *average* of 2 GB. Now with a tiered plan and LTE, my habits still haven't changed. I'm still responsible about what apps I use and try to use wifi as much as possible. Since switching to the tiered plan, I'm averaging about 1 to 1.5 GBs a month.

6. Kayzle thread starter macrumors member

You guys bring up a good point but I am indeed on an iPhone 5 on LTE and really have t seen an increase in data since I came from 3g

I'm at work 40hrs of the week on wifi anyway

7. Xenomorph macrumors 65816

Xenomorph

I had my "Unlimited" plan for well over three years. From June 2009 to January 2013.

I rarely got anywhere close to 1 GB. It was a pain to mess with Jailbreak tethering, Ad-hoc tethering, or USB cable tethering (Tether.com app).

I finally switched to a Shared Data plan w/ Tethering. I don't expect my data to go up by much, but I can finally stop worrying about having older versions of iOS, jailbreaking, tethering apps, etc.

8. Kayzle thread starter macrumors member

Fair enough. Sounds like I should make the switch. It's a shame I have to spend $20 more to tchni ally get LESS.

9. Peter K., Jan 19, 2013
    Last edited: Jan 19, 2013

Peter K. macrumors 6502a

Peter K.

Paying more for less!

That's what really bothers me about this situation, in addition to not being able to use my "unlimited" (i.e., 5 GB before throttling) data as I see fit.

10. AppleFanatic10 macrumors 68030

AppleFanatic10

Wouldn't it be the opposite? I always thought that if you're using LTE, your data usage will go up more compared to using 3G data.

----------

Same here. When I was going back and forth between two places I used more data ONLY because one of the places I went to had no wifi. Since I no longer go there my data usage doesn't go over 1GB..(so far). I gave up my unlimited to get the iPhone 5 (I have Verizon) and I am now on a 4GB data plan. I try to make sure I don't stream music/movies anymore and so far I've been successful with that. :D

11. cutienoua macrumors member

I use to have the verizon lte hotspot with wifi only ipad!
    get an ipad with modem
    I have iphone 5 and ipad mini verizon
    mini gets all the use!

12. 2IS macrumors 68030

I ditched my unlimited plan because I realized it was limiting me more so than the tiered plans do. Tethering is a necessity for me and I didn't want to mess with the hassles of jailbreaking.

I did notice slightly higher usage once I had LTE, but not so much because I use the phone/apps more but because many places where I use to connect via wifi, I no longer bother since the LTE speeds are as fast or faster.