Considering ideal monitor to pair with new Apple TV

Discussion in 'Apple TV and Home Theater' started by sta1210, Sep 14, 2015.

1. sta1210 macrumors member

Greetings - currently have a Dell 34 inch Ultrawide monitor which is terrific. However I am interested to see if there are any other monitors that others would suggest (that could double as Apple TV console as well as a Mac Mini) - was interested in something on the smaller side (at least for TV applications) as space is an issue. Also, if the monitor would have a HDMI-CEC capability that would be great as well... I am not sure if the current Dells do or not...

Thanks...

2. JAT macrumors 603

Wait, you WANT to have HDMI-CEC??

Pretty much any TV will work these days, if that is a recent Mini, HDMI from both devices. Is there a specific feature or worry you have? Shop for what you think is the best pic quality.

3. sta1210 thread starter macrumors member

I was simply looking for a monitor that could serve both as TV media unit (by connecting to Apple TV) as well as a PC (Mac Mini monitor) as we have limited space and really do not watch much TV apart from the occasional family movie night - was actually going to create a mobile viewing system on wheels to move from room to room as needed. That said, something smaller (30-34 inches), ability to control the sound of the monitor through the Apple TV remote (thus HDMI-CEC), and with nice picture quality and easily adjustable mount - I suppose that would work... We have the Dell 34 inch Ultrawide - which is great however a fair amount of screen real estate is lost in 16:9 format and I remain uncertain whether the new apple remote will control the volume of the monitor?
    Thanks for your comments!

4. JAT macrumors 603

Most TVs have VESA mounting, so that issue is more on the mount, typically. But with the wheels, your cart or whatever might actually accomplish whatever maneuverability you want.

You will lose screen real estate one way or the other because not everything is the same shape. Have to pick what shape is best for you, probably whatever you watch most.

You may want to pay attention to the sound. Monitors usually don't have good speakers. Some TVs are barely better.

I'm not really sure about the New aTV. It says it will work like you want. A simple setup like that is definitely what CEC is for.

5. mellofello, Sep 17, 2015
    Last edited: Sep 17, 2015

mellofello macrumors 65816

6. sta1210 thread starter macrumors member

That is really quite a nice choice, I wonder how text etc would display from a Mac Mini or Macbook? It would essentially use the HDMi ports I presume so should be fairly reasonable. That may be a better option than the Dell 34 inch ultra wide... Interesting, thank you for the links...

7. JAT macrumors 603

Text displays fine on my projector and other TVs I've seen. PCs have really matched up a lot better with TVs the last few years, since HDMI has been used and TVs gained higher resolution. 15 years ago this was not the case, even when a TV had a VGA input.

8. mellofello macrumors 65816

Don't get a ultra wide monitor for media consumption. With the exception of cinema scope movies the majority of 16/9 content looks really bad on it. I got the 29 inch dell, and ended up sending it back.