Considering leaving Verizon for AT&T

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by -Advances, Oct 10, 2012.

1. -Advances macrumors member

Hello everyone it seems like my data speeds on Verizon LTE have been trashy compared to everyone on AT&T I'm pulling barley 6-10 Mbps download and 3-4 Mbps upload while my friends are pulling 17+ with the same out of bars. That's pretty unexceptable when you pay 130$ monthly for one line.. Anyone have any suggestions I live in SoCal by the way. Only thing thats keeping me back is the fact that I have unlimited data.. :confused:

2. Beezzy macrumors 6502

Do your pages download fast? Do your videos not stall when watching them on LTE? Do you not drop calls? If you can answer yes to all of these, then you don't need to go to At&t.

3. mikeydeezy macrumors 6502a

mikeydeezy

The only advice I could offer would be to look at the amount of data you typically pull down and see if switching to AT&T with the appropiate amount of data would make sense financially.

4. cababah macrumors 68000

Edit: You may want to rethink your choice considering you have unlimited data

5. aajeevlin macrumors 6502a

My question for you is, what are you doing? Do you live to compete with your friends on your up/down speed? When I had 3G on iPhone 4 with Verizon my up/down speed was horrible. But I had no problem doing Netfilx, CNN Live TV, anything data intensive you name it. Unless you have a job or whatever it is that you are doing requires you to have 17+ up/down, I really don't understand what's the point here.

Now if you tell me knowing that you can pull 17+ up/down make you a happier person, then switch by all means.

6. -Advances thread starter macrumors member

I don't care about surfing the web while talking I just don't get why my speeds are so slow my thunderbolt had faster speeds in my house. I mean I just want to recieve what I pay for cause my bill is pretty high for one line.

7. mpossoff macrumors 68020

These speed tests that people post are worthless.

Does your VZW LTE device perform or not.

8. -Advances thread starter macrumors member

Yes it does but not up to par as I've seen with AT&T and they barley opened up their 4G/LTE and verizon has had theirs for how long? It's ridiculous .

9. KoukiFC3S macrumors 6502a

Why is your bill so high?

Unlimited data is $30. What's the other $100 for?

I pay $63 for 400 min, 250 texts and unlimited data.

10. mattopotamus macrumors G4

mattopotamus

if you do not use a lot of data and the att coverage is better, make the switch. Will save you money or about the same and the speeds will be better. Just make sure att coverage is actually better where you live.

11. nburwell macrumors 68040

nburwell

If your bill is so high, why don't you consider trimming some of the fat off the bill. Do you have a lot of minutes? If so, do you use all of them? If not, consider downgrading to a cheaper voice plan. Do the majority of your friends have iPhone's? If so, then consider dumping your text plan to save you money.

If AT&T is cheaper for you each month compared to VZW, then go with them. But I would first analyze your bill to see what you can possibly get rid of or change.

12. acorntoy macrumors 6502a

This. It's always interesting to see but it has made people paranoid.

"But I'm only getting"
    "Is this acceptable"
    " why is it so slow"

So many factors can play into those test. If your device works fine, and your getting unlimited, I would stay.

13. JasonR macrumors 6502a

JasonR

On LTE in my area on Verizon I get anywhere from 7 mbps to 45 mbps. That's faster than most cable and DSL connections. I'm super happy, since it's way faster than my last iPhone, and I can tether.

Realistically, 99% of people do not need anything faster than 5-10 mbps. Use the phone, be happy, and stop running speed tests very 5 seconds.

14. -Advances thread starter macrumors member

I have unlimited everything talk texts and web #

----------

A majority of my friends don't have iPhone 5s I'm only 16 and in high school my sad pays for my bill everyone has sprint but they suck so I'm not going to them lol

15. arliu macrumors regular

dont do it man, att sucks trust me, i have it

16. ProudLoz macrumors regular

OP, I live in a city where I get AT&T's LTE, but sadly it doesn't cover were I work. So, instead of LTE I get on AT&T's 4G network which gets me average speeds of 7 MBs and the max being 12 MBs, but it never bothers me. I can do everything happily, and once I get home with my LTE coverage where I can get up to 28 MBs down, I don't really see any difference in speed while I'm using my phone unless I'm watching a video. And with videos, the only difference is that they just buffer faster, but I don't have that problem with AT&T's 4G network here at work, which is comparible to what you're getting on Verizon.

Since you have unlimited data on Verizon, and they will not cap you, I highly suggest you stay with Verizon and enjoy their great LTE coverage. Those AT&T LTE speeds your friends are pulling mean nothing in the real world when you're doing the most basic things like web browsing, facebooking, tweeting, etc.

17. chakraj macrumors 65816

chakraj

Do you have a discount on your line?

18. KoukiFC3S macrumors 6502a

Yes, but if you want to lower your bill without a discount you can do 200 min for $30. I used to have that for $65 a month with data and sms.

The discount doesn't kick in until the $35+ voice plans, so I was able to get more minutes and still pay less.

19. chakraj macrumors 65816

chakraj

I already have the 200 for $29.95 I only pay $65 a month also with unlimited, just wondering how you had the same with 400. Love verizon LTE unlimited...:D