Considering MBP Upgrade from 2.4ghz Unibody to New 2.8ghz

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by dsa420, Jul 14, 2009.

  1. dsa420 macrumors 6502

    Feb 23, 2007
    I currently have a 2.4GHZ MBP (unibody) that I purchased toward the end of last year, upgraded HDD to 500GB and RAM to 4GB. For some reason I am talking myself into buying either the new 2.8 or 3.06 model.

    Am I crazy to upgrade just for the batter longevity? I had such a bad experience with my Powerbook G4 and the power issues that I feel like the minor investment (after selling current computer) is worth it....
  2. thegoldenmackid macrumors 604


    Dec 29, 2006
    dallas, texas
    What's wrong with the old one? I would say wait and save and buy later on, especially if the computer is only six months old.
  3. dsa420 thread starter macrumors 6502

    Feb 23, 2007
    Cause if I can sell this current one for around $1,500-$1,600 and buy new with student discount and free iPod, it basically becomes a wash in terms of cost.
  4. Hellhammer Moderator


    Staff Member

    Dec 10, 2008
    Why do you want the 2.8? If you don't need more speed but want longer battery, just sell your current and get the base 13" MBP.
  5. Snowbound macrumors regular

    May 19, 2008
    I've actually been thinking about doing the same thing. Unfortunately for us, the 2.4 uMBPs are only going for about $1400 new on fleabay and seem to be even less on my local CL. Where are you thinking of selling that you think you can get that much?
  6. dsa420 thread starter macrumors 6502

    Feb 23, 2007
    I can live with $1,400, ideally I would sell on Craigslist as I sold my last MBP on eBay and it was a nightmare. The guy who purchased bitched about every last detail and claimed the computer was damaged in shipping.
  7. MacMini2009 macrumors 68000


    May 22, 2009
    If you really want a new Macbook Pro then get one.
  8. Snowbound macrumors regular

    May 19, 2008
    Yeah, I guess you can probably get 1400 on CL. If that $400-$500 upgrade isn't a big deal to you, the new 2.8s sure are cool.
  9. dsa420 thread starter macrumors 6502

    Feb 23, 2007
    My interest has been piqued on the 13", I just purchased one for my wife and I love the size. It seems like the few benefits of the 15" over the screen size are pretty nominal.

    Considering I travel every week the portability of the 13" is very appealing. Am I missing anything or are the 13"'s pretty much equivalent minus size...
  10. CoreyMac macrumors regular

    Jul 10, 2008
    I'm selling my 2008 Unibody MacBook 2.4GHz, 4GB RAM, 320GB HD for the new 2.8 15".....The new battery, better screen, faster cpu, 9600M GT 512MB and more real estate really got me going.

    I love my 13" Unibody MacBook, but the video card and higher cpu clock will give it a little longer well as better re-sale value. I may end up selling my 2.8GHz 15" early next year when the next MBP refresh comes out (If it has something significantly better than the 9600M) so I want to be able to get the most money I can out of it.
  11. Scottsdale macrumors 601


    Sep 19, 2008
    If you can afford it and want it, go for it. I think the battery alone is enough of a reason to upgrade. Additionally, right now you will not lose as much selling your current MBP. It takes some time for prices to fall drastically after updates. I would say you could get most of your money back from the last MBP.

    I would want the double battery life, not necessarily the CPU improvements. Not that CPU upgrade wouldn't be nice, but nearly unnoticeable, while the battery is something you would notice immediately if you take the MBP away from your desk. Some people have laptops but never move them from their desk, and those people shouldn't make that upgrade.

    Good luck.
  12. DoNoHarm macrumors 65816


    Oct 8, 2008
    dont upgrade; the new computer may have problems and you'll have to send it back and forth to apple to get it fixed. it sucks.
  13. shadow1 macrumors member

    Jul 9, 2009
    I generally wait until everything in performance in drastically upgraded. Eg Processor from powerpc to intel or nvdia 7 series to current 9 series.
  14. dsa420 thread starter macrumors 6502

    Feb 23, 2007
    Just pulled the trigger on a 15" 2.8ghz. I am traveling for business and didnt realize there was an Apple store in the mall right across the street from my hotel (it must be fate).

    Now the question becomes which is the best 256GB SSD drive to purchase?
  15. CalMin macrumors 6502a


    Nov 8, 2007
    I went 2.4 MB to 2.53 MBP. Speend is barely noticeable, but I do have firewire, better display and more battery.

    Good luck getting your price. Problem with eBay is that everyone lists their computer with pirated software, CS4, Office, Final Cut. I can't compete with that and refuse to pirate the software just to sell the machine.
  16. dsa420 thread starter macrumors 6502

    Feb 23, 2007
    Is it possible to clone my computer including the operating system to copy over to the new computer? I have Snow Leopard installed and left the boot file at home computer.

    Trying to avoid having to download again.

Share This Page