Considering refurb 15" rMBP now that the price is $1599

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by skolvikes, May 29, 2013.

1. skolvikes macrumors newbie

It looks like they are really trying to move these out of storage. Obviously they must have a ton of these with people returning them due to LG screens and etc., but does anyone have knowledge of the parts used in the 15" rMBP? Are they replacing screens for Samsung and so forth?

Want to pull the trigger on one of these bad boys at this price, but that's my reluctance.

2. NewishMacGuy macrumors 6502a

NewishMacGuy

Wow that does seem like a great price if the 8GB / 256GB config works for you. Maybe that's a sign that something good is coming at WWDC, something like significant price drops and/or an upgrade to 512GB in the base model. That prospect plus 802.11ac make the wait worth it for me.

___

3. n0id macrumors member

I bought a refurb in Jan of this year, and it came with an LG screen that had the burn in issues....a quick trip to the apple store and they replaced with a Samsung and was issue free from then on.

My feeling is they only replace the screen on returns if that is the reason it was returned. They may be checking all the screens now, but as of last Jan, they obviously were not :)

4. abc123 macrumors 6502

I bought one in early April and it came with a samsung screen. Anecdotal evidence being anecdotal of course.

5. srsub3 macrumors 6502

srsub3

1 year warranty with the mac.... so if something happens, you will have only to walk in an apple store and claim a replacement.... can't see the problem.... :D

6. goobery macrumors newbie

I'm in the same boat, and ended up ordering one. There's no risk in purchasing now since you can always return within 14 days if the new models are more attractive when they are announced June 10.

There is however a risk waiting if the refurb stock is sold out. At $1599 it's almost ridiculous to pay $400-$600 more for a new model. Previews of Haswell are somewhat disappointing in IPC performance, and the big gains are the GPU which is less important from a performance perspective since it's equipped with the 650m. Everyone keeps talking about 802.11ac but I'm not going to worry about technology that can be upgraded with a $20 dongle, when I can save $400-$600 now.