Considering replacing my 5 with a mini

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by Nwa22, Aug 24, 2013.

1. Nwa22 macrumors newbie

First post!

I've been an iPhone user for a little over 2 years and have been extremely happy with them, maybe a little too happy. I had used other smartphones previously going back to 2006. My iPhone has become a distraction to me it seems. Yes it helps my productivity to a point but once work is done I'm still constantly on it. I always have the temptation to use it to check social media, blogs etc and don't seem to have the self discipline to make myself not be on it. I normally don't have an addictive personality but I have struggled with this. Am I the only one?

So I am considering getting rid of my 5 and getting a mini with a data plan. It's not nearly as convenient to whip out while at a restaurant or bar Or other social settings. At the same time I would still be able to be connected the way I like/need to be. I do travel a lot for work so I would still be able to use maps while traveling and be able to have email etc on demand. I do have 2 iPads now but both are wifi only. I would just use a dumb phone for calls and texts.

Anyone else ever considered this or see any problems arising that I'm not thinking of? Or maybe someone has tips on breaking my "addiction."

Thanks.

2. swish2351, Aug 24, 2013
    Last edited: Aug 24, 2013

swish2351 macrumors 6502

Bad idea it's just not convenient at all, you're going to get quite annoyed, just put a long passcode (that you can remember) on your phone so you won't pull it out and type it in unless you really need it

3. ugcop macrumors 6502a

ugcop

Go for it. I have considered the same. Not sure why I still have an iPhone as I wear cargo pants and always carry the mini in a pocket. If I don't have on cargo I just carry it. I use an Otterbox so it is protected. Not sure what dumb phone I would use as I do send text and would like a keyboard.

4. 617aircav Suspended

The iPhone is a distraction, then how will the mini not also be a distraction?

5. 12vElectronics macrumors 68040

12vElectronics

This. Not sure i'm following the logic here.

6. Nwa22 thread starter macrumors newbie

Well I don't think I will be as tempted to use it in social settings, taking it inside a restaurant for example. My phone is just so dang convenient. That's how I rationalize it in my head at least.

I know I could just not carry my phone with me when I feel it would be a distraction but I do need to be available for phone calls at all times.

I know it's hard to understand and I might be weird. But when talking with a friend or customer or employee I have this urge to reach in my pocket and grab my phone to look at something. To the point of it distracting me from the person or people I am talking with. I can't realistically walk around with an ipad in my hands all the time, it would be locked in my car or office so I wouldnt have that temptation.

My Internet addiction has gotten out of control!

7. WhyIndeed macrumors newbie

If the iPad mini has a cellular radio to make calls with (via bluetooth headset of course) I would be all over this.

But since it doesn't the idea of forcing myself to have to carry two different devices (Dumphone + iPad mini) sounds much less appealing.

iPhone it is then!

If you are going out with someone, why not simply give your phone to them for the evening so you're not tempted?

8. Apple fanboy macrumors P6

Apple fanboy

If you are so addicted to your iPhone, that you can't put it down, then I don't see what the mini will give you differently.

What you need is a therapist not an iPad mini.

9. narutoninjakid macrumors 6502

You dont use your phone for calls ?I would keep the phone and maybe try deleting social media apps and things that keep you distracted. Try that first before you get rid of the phone.

10. Nwa22 thread starter macrumors newbie

11. Mrbobb macrumors 601

So everybody want a bigger phone they say, so might as well go for broke right, get a Mini Tablet! - Oy.

Yeah, I want to see you in a restaurant, and a VOIP calls comes in, and u wip out the Mini in front of your date... gonna make u look real cool man. :rolleyes:

Ur addiction is your own problem, nobody can save u.