Considering selling my Early 2008 Mac Pro for the New Pro, opinions?

Discussion in 'Mac Pro' started by sdonegan, Mar 3, 2009.

  1. sdonegan macrumors newbie

    Joined:
    Sep 9, 2008
    #1
    Hello Everyone,

    I purchased an Early 2008 Mac Pro in November, knowing that eventually Apple would release a new model, and I am wondering if I should sell the old one and buy a new one in the near future.

    Here are my Specs.:

    2 X 2.8 GHz Quad-Core Intel Xeon
    4 GB 800 MHz DDR2 FB-DIMM (Factory)
    2 Superdrives
    ATI Radeon HD 2600
    320GB Hard Drive (Factory)
    750GB Seagate Hard Drive
    No WiFi or AppleCare

    Unit is in excellent shape with no scratches and has no known issues. Keyboard, Mouse, and all original accessories are still in original plastic in Mac Pro Box with the Install/Restore DVD's and Apple Replacement DVD's because original DVD's were scratched.

    Usage: I use the Mac side for my iPhone, Internet, Email, iTunes, Microsoft Office, running my business and playing BF2142. I do not do any Photo/Video Editing, etc.
    Originally I was planning on buying a gaming audio card that was supposed to be released in November, and an Nvidia GeForce GTX 295 GPU for Windows. However, the audio card has been delayed until the end of this month so I have held off on buying the cards for Windows. I purchased this machine for general use on the Mac side and hard core gaming on the Windows side, planning on adding the Windows cards in November when the audio card was supposed to be released. You can imagine my frustration when the audio card was delayed until the end of this month, as I probably could have held off until now before buying the machine. The new Mac Pro would also be much better for games on the Windows side because of the speed differences.
    The other thing I may use the Windows side for is a Blu Ray Media Server (because the Mac lacks ANY Blu Ray support ), once I purchase the audio card and a Blu Ray drive.

    If I choose not to buy the new Mac Pro I will add the audio and graphics cards for Windows by the end of the month and will use the machine until Apple releases another major update.
    I have no need for any of the new GPU's in the Mac side, because I only use it for basic tasks.
    In any case, if I do decide to buy the new Mac Pro it would probably be the $3299 model when Apple release Snow Leopard, so I'm not in a hurry!
     
  2. rroback macrumors member

    Joined:
    Jun 29, 2007
    #2
    Unless you need more power, be happy with what you have!
     
  3. skyline r34 macrumors 6502

    skyline r34

    Joined:
    Oct 10, 2005
    Location:
    San Diego
    #3
    Why? there always going to be faster ones down the road, when the newer Mac Pro comes out next year, what are you going to do? Buy a new Mac Pro every year? Just upgrade your video card to the new one the ATi looks promising and it's backwards capable so that you can use on your current Mac Pro and use the new led cinema, Like rroback said just be happy in what you have
     
  4. MovieCutter macrumors 68040

    MovieCutter

    Joined:
    May 3, 2005
    Location:
    Washington, DC
    #4
    The problem you're going to have is actually moving the machine. Not a whole lot of people in the market for a high end computer these days. Not saying it's impossible, but it's pretty difficult in my experience so it may not be worth the hassle.
     
  5. zer0tails macrumors 65816

    zer0tails

    Joined:
    Mar 23, 2008
    Location:
    Canada
    #5
    if you have money to waste then go for it. You're going to take a hit for sure and not even certain if it's worth the performance upgrade.
     
  6. Fomaphone macrumors regular

    Joined:
    Jan 11, 2009
    #6
    wait for the nehalems to start showing up on the refurb site.
     
  7. nanofrog macrumors G4

    Joined:
    May 6, 2008
    #7
    Don't bother selling it for an '09 model. Keep it and be happy. :)
     
  8. Chaos123x macrumors 68000

    Joined:
    Jul 8, 2008

Share This Page