iPad Considering Smart Cover but scared for the back of the iPad.

Discussion in 'iPad' started by Kendo, Oct 27, 2014.

1. Kendo macrumors 68000

If you only use a Smart Cover, does the back get scratched up under regular use? I don't want to ruin the lightness of the iPad Air 2 with a case but also worried the back might get scratched up.

2. FrankB1191 macrumors 6502a

This is probably going to be moved to the Accesory forum, but.... I used a Smart Cover only on my Air 1 since last December, and not a single scratch. I'm careful, but I did carry it with me quite a bit. The increased weight of a case was annoying to me, and I took it off after one day (Poetic something or other, 5 oz).

3. donnaw macrumors 65816

You can always use some sort of sticker. That's what I do. Ghost Armor, *sticker boy, best skins ever, iCarbon are only 4 that make them.

They don't add any weight but protect from scratches. Some are clear, some are matte, some are carbon fiber, some are wood-like, some even will use your own photo.

And then there are all sorts of back cases such as TPU, silicon, jelly..

You have lots of choices if you want back protection.

4. ZBoater macrumors G3

ZBoater

5. Kendo thread starter macrumors 68000

Awesome. How does it stay on though? Sticker or it just wraps around naturally?

6. andyw715 macrumors 6502a

I had my rMini in a case before giving it to my wife...the back of the mini was flawless....she uses a cover, and its all scratched to hell....i guess it depends on what you are sliding it on.

7. Scarpad macrumors 68000

Scarpad

I have an Air 1 and for a lont time I used a poetic case, I just bought a new Smart Cover and a Neoprene case to hold the tablet when I'm not using it, but just in case I ordered a Decal Girl skin for the back, that way I get the protection from scratches, still an issue if you drop the tablet just has to be careful

8. mattroman246 macrumors 6502

mattroman246

Honestly the back is pretty tough and resilient to scratches

9. Pjrufus macrumors 6502

I prefer a case, but there aren't many options available right now. I bought a Luvitt Dolce on Amazon, and an Air 1 Smart Cover on eBay (they fit the Air 2.) Spent under $30 for both. I may just find I like that combo over a case, but at least I'll have something.

10. merrickdrfc macrumors 6502

merrickdrfc

I use a Smart Cover day to day, and just throw it in a sleeve I bought from Amazon (think it was about £5) when it goes in my bag. Seems to work pretty well

11. bronzini macrumors member

Same here. Not a scratch

12. MisterPunchy macrumors regular

Ya, mine was pretty resistant to deeper scratches, but the anodizing totally rubbed off all around the perimeter of the back. Looks bad. My next one will either have some protection on the back, or a smart-cover and I'll always set it on its front (cover down)

13. Rayban macrumors 6502

Rayban

I opted for the cover instead of the case because of your same concern. Any time I set it down I just leave the cover on the back or lay it face down with the cover on the screen. And like some above said, I also got a slip case for traveling.

14. FrankB1191 macrumors 6502a

My wife and son use cases, and we all have neoprene slip cases from the dollar store. My wife has pink, and we have black. They weigh nothing.....

15. bhags8 macrumors 6502a

Get the smart case. It's my first time ever using a smart case and damn it's awesome!

16. addictzz macrumors 6502

kayscase from amazon also protect the back only with clear cover. you might wanna check Amazon.

17. newellj macrumors 601

Same here, October 2013. Not a scratch.

18. cindaddy macrumors member

Do you have one? I was hesitant to order because the first review said it doesn't allow the Smart Cover to close completely.

19. purpleparrotuk macrumors 6502

Luvvitt themselves say its not compatible with the smart cover because it has no cutout for the magnet.

20. ZBoater macrumors G3

ZBoater

Getting mine today.

----------

That's the Clarity. The Dolce is specifically designed to work with a Smart a Cover.

Or so says the product description.

21. AppleFan360 macrumors 68020

In simple terms, NO! I had a smart case on my iPad Air for a year. I carried it around a lot. I sold it the other day and the back looked perfect.

22. MrXiro macrumors 68040

MrXiro

I've been using skinomi sold on Amazon for the last 4 years.

23. macstever macrumors regular

Got Air 1 on launch day and never used back case. No scratches.

24. dannyyankou macrumors 604

dannyyankou

I've used both my iPad 2 and iPhone 5s without a back case and the aluminum never had any scratches whatsoever. On the other hand, the chamfered edges on the Air might get scratched up easily, but other than that the Smart Cover is more than enough to keep your iPad protected.

25. Lukewarmwinner macrumors 6502

I dont like the smart cover as well due to the back being unprotected. Maybe the TPU from Luvvit would do the trick.