Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

tcmacintosh

macrumors regular
Original poster
Feb 5, 2008
As my title says what do you think I should do? The storage space is not a problem because I store all my large files on an external HD anyway, I'm just worried that its going to be too slow. The main processing tasks I do on my UMBP is editing in iMovie, ripping dvd's and converting avi's to mp4's.

I also have a 24" ACD with wireless keyboard and mouse so, screen real estate is not a problem when at home.

Jozone

macrumors 6502
Jul 24, 2007
Dont do it, processing/storage intensive tasks on the MBA will be far less pleasant.. for me it all boils down to only having USB2 for means of external storage.

aleni

macrumors 68030
Jun 2, 2006
looking at your usage, don't swap it for a macbook air.

it's not very convenience to use for editing movies and ripping movies. it's usable but not as great as MBP 2.4ghz.

working with ADC with integrated Nvidia 9400 is not silky smooth. it's capable but not smooth.

i swapped my UMBP 2.4ghz for a macbook air 1.86ghz with SSD because i felt just like u. felt like it was enough and powerful for me, and i really love the thinness and the design. but, after using it for months, i really missed a powerful notebook, so i swapped it again for a UMBP17".

aleni

macrumors 68030
Jun 2, 2006
ah, and one more thing. better spend money on intel SSD and optibay with 500GB of space. it's really a much better option at least for me.

u49aa2

macrumors 6502a
Nov 3, 2008
Between Heaven and Hell
As my title says what do you think I should do? The storage space is not a problem because I store all my large files on an external HD anyway, I'm just worried that its going to be too slow. The main processing tasks I do on my UMBP is editing in iMovie, ripping dvd's and converting avi's to mp4's.

I also have a 24" ACD with wireless keyboard and mouse so, screen real estate is not a problem when at home.

My friend...DO NOT swap it. From personal experience, downgrading is almost always a mistake. You will notice the difference in simple tasks, not because the MBA is slow, but because the MBP is too fast and strong!

This is why i am back to fully loaded UMBP.

xhambonex

macrumors 6502a
Apr 17, 2008

Yeah this doesn't sound like a good idea at all to me...you would get by but you will notice the difference and I think it will bother you. Maybe not, but it would bother me.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.