Considering that apple got rid of Nividia do you thing that apple will do the same to Intel ?

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by SHEEPOS, Jun 29, 2015.

?

do you think Apple will get rid of Intel CPUs eventually !

1. No

22 vote(s)
    68.8%
  2. yes, Apple will replace them with AMD Cpus and APUs

3 vote(s)
    9.4%
  3. Yes, they will come up with their own

7 vote(s)
    21.9%
  1. SHEEPOS macrumors member

SHEEPOS

I won't be surprise if I see the new macbook pro "13 2016 start shipping with quad core amd apu
    or at least making a cheaper versions using Amd cpus on their notebooks !

What do you guys think ?

2. SE43 macrumors member

I read somewhere Apple are making their own CPU's for their notebooks, but they won't be ready for a while. But yes I think eventually they will do, when that will be is another matter.

3. lowendlinux Contributor

lowendlinux

4. yjchua95 macrumors 604

More likely they'll dump AMD first.

Apple's priority is to get rid of the discrete GPU first.

The switch to ARM is still pretty far away.

5. vbedia macrumors regular

Apple didn't get rid of Nvidia at least not permanently, they will ditch AMD eventually and come back to Nvidia. It's a pattern circle, this has been going on for some years now. I am ok with that as long as they always use the best product available. Sadly this has not been the case.

Having said that i will be ok if they choose either Intel or AMD processor, but they have to pick the best one available. I am afraid AMD's are not up to the task. People are not stupid, don't try to fool them. Don't make them pay high prices for mediocre processors or dGPUs when there are other alternatives much better. I understand they want to have bigger margin profits but not at the cost of worse quality components.

My next MBP will most likely use a iGPU unless there is a choice for a dGPU I really like. I will not pay a premium price for something I don't consider of optimum quality.

6. Quu macrumors 68020

Quu

7. SHEEPOS thread starter macrumors member

SHEEPOS

what do you mean ?

8. Quu macrumors 68020

Quu

They aren't in a good place right now. There is rumors they will split the company in two etc

9. SHEEPOS thread starter macrumors member

SHEEPOS

then why are just updating every single mac with AMD since 2014
    no 800 serious and no 900 serious

10. yjchua95 macrumors 604

GPU and CPU are two different things. Neither are related to each other.

AMD's GPU has nothing to do with Apple dumping their CPUs from Intel. It's more related to switching graphic cards suppliers.

Back in 2011, they switched every Mac to AMD as well. In 2012, they switched all of them back to NVIDIA.

11. 556fmjoe macrumors 65816

Yep.

And they went to AMD in 2011 after using NVIDIA for a few years, which they switched to after using ATI in the earlier MacBook Pros, which came after 12" PowerBooks containing NVIDIA GPUs were sold alongside 15" and 17" ATI equipped PowerBooks.

12. TheIguana macrumors 6502a

TheIguana

Apple flip-flops between AMD and NVIDIA on a two to three year basis. They likely do it based on a combination of which producer offers them the best price, performance and thermals.

They have run Intel since 2006 when they moved from PPC to Intel. So I don't see the correlation your trying to make.