+ conspiracy theories = + anti-semitism

Discussion in 'Politics, Religion, Social Issues' started by Tymmz, Apr 20, 2007.

1. Tymmz macrumors 65816

Tymmz

Do other people think that the increase in popularity of conspiracy theories causes an increase in anti-semitism?

It's just my personal theory. Don't have any facts. But statistics show, that anti-semitism is increasing, at least in Europe. And I have a feeling that conspiracy theories found a much wider acceptance over the last few years. Are these facts connected? I think so.

e.g. have a look for "David Icke" on GoogleVideo. "The world is ruled by lizards and jews" - yeah right!

What do you think.

2. Jasonbot macrumors 68020

Jasonbot

Many of my friends hate jews? I don't know if this is a joking hatred or if they are seriously anti-semetic. They often jokingly mock my Jewish complexion but thats just jokes I think.

3. princealfie macrumors 68030

princealfie

Huh? I don't know what you are talking about. Conspiracy theories <> anti-semitism. :confused: :confused: :confused: :confused:

4. srf4real macrumors 68030

srf4real

In a nutshell, no. I think that both stem from ignorance, but are not related.

5. yellow Moderator emeritus

yellow

I guess the whole point of a conspiracy theory is to not have any cognizant facts to back it up. :rolleyes:

6. skunk macrumors G4

skunk

A "joking hatred"??? Sounds like you need some new friends.

7. yellow Moderator emeritus

yellow

I'm sure my following comment is based in ignorance, as I've never been to South Africa and only know what I've read and seen on TV.. but since hating blacks isn't kosher anymore, it's time to move onto plan B?

8. skunk macrumors G4

skunk

The alleged "worldwide Jewish banking cabal" has long been a favourite conspiracy theory, but you can substitute almost any group, real or imagined, which transcends national boundaries - Illuminati, Zionists, Communists, Aliens, Masons, Rotarians, Islamists - in order to prey on the petty nationalistic insecurities of twats anywhere.

9. aquajet macrumors 68020

10. zap2 macrumors 604

zap2

Agreed...although there are some conpspiracys that deal wit Jews, overall I'd say the two are unrelated.

Also as for unsemistism being on the raise, where? Numbers, data?

11. princealfie macrumors 68030

princealfie

Some conspiracy theories are based on actual evidence so I wouldn't go wrong on those.

Don't trust much if anything at all :)

12. Desertrat macrumors newbie

Newspaper reports of rising anti-semitism in Europe--particularly France, what with the larger number of Islamics--are common, but I've not noticed any such in the U.S. Plenty of the tinfoil hat crowd around, of course. Gotta watch those contrails, folks, and 9/11 was a government plot! Duh?

We get the occasional Stormfront.org type showing up at a couple of RKBA websites, but they almost immediately get banned. They're sometimes smooth enough to slide a post or two past before getting caught.

'Rat

13. furious macrumors 65816

furious

QFT :(

14. Agathon macrumors 6502a

Agathon

Anti Israel feeling has increased notably over the past five or six years.

The people who tell you that anti-semitism is on the rise believe that anti-Israeli feeling is anti-semitic by definition. Of course it isn't, so the statistics are often just silly.

Anti-semitism in most societies today is probably at the level of anti-Irish prejudice (used to be bad, but only a few bigots care any more).

It's annoying, but not really socially crippling. Real prejudice is directed at blacks, asians and muslims. Everything else is just chicken feed. Frankly, it is embarrassing when people make a huge deal out of anti semitism in modern societies.

Modern anti-semites are pretty useless. Jewish people in modern societies are doing financially, politically and socially well. The case for them as an oppressed class is pretty thin.

15. Queso macrumors G4

South Africa's just like that. People wear their prejudices on their sleeves. A shock for outsiders yes, but far more honest than the insidious methods employed in other places.

My take is that the increase in anti-semitic thinking is in part due to the attention of the world being on the Middle East. Some of Israel's actions are perceived as downright objectionable, particularly in the wider context of an already unstable region. Then thanks to Israeli lobbies across the world, anyone who criticises Israel is accused to criticising Jews (not the same thing at all, just to make the point). This counter-attack strategy gets people's backs up further because they feel they have a right to be angry at Israel, and it's the local Jewish communities in their countries that suffer as a consequence.

Or alternatively, it could just be that those miserable Jews are moaning about their lot again :rolleyes:
    That's a joke BTW ;-)

16. Peterkro macrumors 68020

Peterkro

Post of the day.:) (although I'm a bit peeved you left out Anarchists :D )

17. princealfie macrumors 68030

princealfie

Yeah I don't trust banks at all. But that has nothing to do with Jewish (or anyone of a particular ilk) people at all.

I hate the usury and the damn $30 penalty fees for just -$2 in the account. :mad: :mad: :mad: :mad:

18. psychofreak Retired

psychofreak

I am Jewish and have mixed feelings about Israeli policies.

Of course anti-Israel and anti-semitism are not one and the same, but it seems to me (just a general observation) that a rising number of people claim to be anti-Israel because they do not want to be labelled as racist when in fact they are anti-semitic...

BTW, my Grandad and uncle are Free Masons and it is hilarious for me to think of them doing all these things that some people believe them to do...

19. solvs macrumors 603

solvs

So you're a self hating jew like me then? :p

20. j26 macrumors 65832

j26

I think we're in there with the aliens :eek:

I think it's down to the anti-Israel = anti-semite myth that's being peddled by the Israeli government to stop condemnation of what's going in on the Mid-East

(And the fact they lynched Jesus ;) )

21. skunk macrumors G4

skunk

Either them or the Rotarians, I'm not sure which. :p

22. yagran macrumors 6502a

as for jewish jokes in schools at the moment, it all started with 'Borat'. 'Borat' was funny, and pretty much every teenager has seen it, and during the movie he sings about throwing jews down a well...now hes not being serious obviously just pretending to be in iggnorant bliss. but now everyone in my local area, thats teenagers oc, has a new insult.."you stupid jew"...or " pointy shoes big nose jew" which is all just stereotypes, but it isnt hatred. just a trend, its not anti-semitism really, i think its will all blow over soon when we all forget borat...

so shut up you stupid pointy shiney shoe'd big nose, scroll bashing, rabi raping jews. << sorry

23. solvs macrumors 603

solvs

I hate it when they do that. Same as with supporting the troops equaling supporting the Pres. I don't support him because I support them. Same as with Israel. I hate it when they lump us in with what they sometimes do, saying they're doing it for us. They aren't.

I know I didn't do it. Can't speak for my ancestors. I thought the Romans did that though.

I guess if it's ironic it's not as bad, but context is sometimes lost in translation, so it's important to tread lightly.

24. Queso macrumors G4

Damn greasy momma's boy Italians :mad: :mad: ;)

25. skunk macrumors G4

skunk

Crucifixion was a Roman punishment, it's true. The Jews preferred to get stoned. And who can blame them for that?